My first yes trying to locate

wrench327

I spent a little more than half a day this week trying to place some machines by myself and was starting to get worn down from all the no's and needing corp decisions, I was prepared for that though and I new this was not going to be my favorite thing to do. I was ready to come back home and hire a locator and decided to stop and try one more time at a new tool store that just opened about a month ago,so I get to the manager and gave him my pitch for the nccs and he says yes! Honestly I did'nt quite no what to say at that point, but I pulled it together and asked him if he would like me to put it in the break room. He said he did'nt think it would do that well back there and suggested we put it right up front near the checkouts. He asked if I could bring the machine sometime next week and he would make space for it, this was good news for me because I was hoping to place a vendstar in the breakroom and it was the only tripple I had at the time. I came home and bought a slightly used xyz tripple and it arrived last night, nice looking machine, I will clean it up this weekend and place it next week. Sorry for making this such a long post but I wanted to share this here with everyone that motivates us newbies and say thanks to Steve and all the veteran vendors here for the advice and encouragement!

Good for you Wayne!!! You just learned a very valuable lesson. Throughout time, men have tried and tried and tried and sometimes, given up. MOST of the times, they were so close to a breakthrough, had they continued "driving", they would have succeeded. After all those "no's", you were discouraged but tried again! THAT was the point of breakthrough! Just remember this (valuable) lesson when things get tough and know you CAN do it!

g

Keep in mind when your selling these to businesses.......its a candy machine. Don't take the task of locating it too seriously. Eventually someone will say yes. Statistically 1 out of every 6 sells will be successful. I used to be in the insurance industry and at times would actually cold call commercial clients in person. Imagine that, just walking up to the owner of a business and having to convince them that they should let you write their 100,000 insurance policy instead of the company they currently have.  Selling small vending machines is a lot more fun and less stressful.  Also when you approach small independent businesses emphasize the fact that your just a regular joe out there trying to start your own small business and gee whiz you really could use that first good break to help get you started... When I sollicit these I crawl to the owners sense of independence and self relliance.  Most of the time they will pause for a second thinking back to when they started and will sympathize with you. Good luck to you and keep going. If you get told no 20 times go to twenty more.

my opnion on getting your own locations is that you must learn to do it yourself at one point.

in this biz you will always need to get new stops as things always change.

I'm not saying that you shuold not use location company (when you find a good one to work with)

but you must learn to do it youself as well, if you are here for the long run.

Simon

Not sure if the story is 100% true, but Col. Sanders of KFC went to 100 places trying to sell his secret recipe.  It was the 101st location that said yes.  I think about that when people tell me no. 

I think this would make a good chat session.  What do you do when locating?

Pitch Book? Sales Sheets? Bring the machine right in?  Do you start off with a charity or % split? Do you handle a Pizza place different then a hardware store?

I have yet to use a locator although I can see the time savings aspect of it. If I had a quarter for every place that said no it still wouln'td add up to all the quarters I've collected from the places that have said yes. Keep on going, it only gets easier.

Regards,

Philo

Keep on going, it only gets easier.

This is so true philo! For myself, I'm fortunate enough to work at a bank as my full time job, so I already have a great deal of leads from my business accounts. Of course I keep my vending completely seperate from the bank.

In either case, I find the easiest approach is the up-front approach. Something to this effect: "Hi, my name is Joseph. I own a small vending business and was wondering if you might have a spot in your lobby/break room/waiting area/wherever for a quarter-style candy vending machine?" I've discovered that a majority of managers and business owners do not have the time to listen to a 2 minute speech and appreciate the bluntness (just made up a word) of your presentation. Granted, it doesn't always work, but this way if it is a no, it comes quickly and you can thank them for their time and move on.

wrench327

Don't be sorry about a long post, sometimes you can't tell a quick story. There is no charge for excessive length here. Did you get the XYZ with a gumball wheel or just the three candy slots? I have one and it will do well for you in the store by the counter. I like to use the few Vendstars I have in breakrooms. When you service that XYZ run your finger by the coin drop area when you take the coin trys out. Sometimes a few quarters will get hung up there. They don't do it as bad as the Vendstars do but it does happen. Don't forget to check how much the vend is set for before you take it out to place. You may want to use the #4 or 5 notch depending on what candy you are going to use. Locating yourself can wear you down but it is great to get that yes finally.

Thanks everyone,I will keep trying on my own but I am going to talk to a locator this week and see about getting these 2 v-line doubles I have out on the street. I want to check with kickstart and midwest since they both seem to have good reviews here.

Well I have to say I agree with the learning to locate yourself.  Initially I used a locator to set-up 400 machines, but with all the kickouts I've had, do to business relocating or closing has been brutal the last few months.  I have come to the realization that I can't keep paying locators over and over again.  Also another thing I have learned to watch out for are places with only a few employees in industrial type areas (locators love to place you in these).  They always seem to do great at first because there is a new machine, but then die off quickly.  I only place in high traffic areas now, so that I can maintain the consistency in my sales.  In addition to charity I'm offering 20% commission so that I can attract these type of business...

With kickouts and slow movers I have about 100 plus machines I have to relocate.   I hate it, but it goes with the territory... so far I have had pretty good success (1 out of 5) with my approach.  I'm pretty direct and to the point.  I keep it simple. 

RJ