USI 3160 display not working

Vendin

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the world of vending, so I apologize in advance if I use any incorrect terminology. I bought a USI 3160 snack machine from a gentleman on Craigslist after I was told that he had used it at a community center 2-3 years ago, but lost the route and the machine has been sitting on his patio since.  He wasn't able to demonstrate the machine for me, because he couldn't get it programmed... but he thought the problem was the bill acceptor, so he gave me another bill acceptor from a different machine to replace it as part of the deal.

Well, as I'm digging in, I've realized that the issue is likely with the display. When I turn the machine on, the display lights up and displays XXXXXXXXX. I go into service mode, with no change to the display (the expected output would be DIAGNOSE, and then be able to key through the menu using the vend keys).

post-9558-0-97698800-1415772008_thumb.jpg

However, I followed the programming logic for a test vend, and got a 3 beep response, which is the expected response for a failed test vend. So from what I can tell, the programming logic is working correctly, but I am not getting a display to correspond. I haven't seen any threads on VENDiscuss for a USI machine, but I did run across a thread for a Rowe 548 with a similar issue (http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/18627-rowe-548-cold-food-machine/). The consensus there was that it may be the message center, but I'm not quite sure if I can confirm using the same methodology as in that case - a flashing message when turning on the machine. I found the programming manual for the controller, and it doesn't say anything about a flashing message when turning the machine on, or having a XXXXXXXXX message displayed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Andi

Welcome to the forum Andi! This could very well be a display problem and the only way to confirm that is to try another display in the machine. It appears you may be in the Phoenix area and if you'd like to contact me I can repair this for you. You can reach me at 602-696-2826.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you choose a different screen name so that other members here don't get us confused? Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Of course - my apologies on the screen name.  I didn't notice there was an active user with a similar name until I had already created my account.  

I am indeed in the Phoenix area. I'm brand new to vending machines, but I'm an engineer by trade and I'm very excited to learn the ins and outs of my machine.  Browsing the forums a bit, you seem to be very knowledgable on a lot of the technical details to many different machines. I'd very much like to teach myself as much as possible, so I would like to tinker a bit and maybe see if I can figure this out on my own, but I'm glad to learn that there is a resource so near by! 

Andi

I think the issue was just a slightly loose connection - I had already checked all of the connections a few times, but gave things a little bit of an extra jiggle today at the display, and when I turned the machine back on, it was working and displaying messages properly! I had a few error codes for unconnected validator, reader, and changer, but those were just a few things that came unplugged while moving the machine.

Thanks so much for the input AZVendor! 

Andi

Archived