Software for bulk vending / density of places

Rox

Hallo!

did anybody hear about software supporting bulk vending?

I've read that someone from this forum was creating "software" for this very business, I assume that everybody has sth. like excel sheet customized for own purpose - to count routes, efficiency etc -but I'm interested about "real" software.

In my excel sheet I have such kpi's: turnover / location, collection total and per month, quantity of collections, average commission (I work on commission only), and then in summary of the month - average value of collection, average value of collection per total volume of locations, number of collections, average provision of total locations.

Next issue density of places - I know - it depends on town, places, situations, comptetitors - that's obvious - but did anybody try to quantifier it f.e. granted that in town with inhabitant's 20.000, without any competiotors there might be.... locations for ... machines?.

Tx for response

Rox, I believe a lot of people here use Vend-Trak. Here is a link to software reviews on this forum: http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=20

There are others (like myself) who wrote software specifically to their needs. I use a custom written program + Quickbooks.

Others do use Excel. BTW, don't knock Excel...you can do some pretty complicated stuff in it - including writing code.

Kevin

Hey Rox,

A lot of the people here use the Vend-Trak webbased app. My son and I are developing our own which we currently use to run our route of 500+ machines. I personally prefer to keep my data on our own computers for security sake.

We use GPS to run our routes and handheld computers to collect data in the field and upload to the main DB back at the office.

Our app tracks location info, machine info, service info and collection info, creates our daily or weekly routes, exports them to our handheld and creates the route map for printing and creates the GPS file. Below is a graphic of part of next weeks route. With a route of this size manual(double) entry is not an option for me.

We anticipate releasing our app for sale in the next month or so. One version will have support for the handheld for the larger routes and the other will print route sheets for manual entry. Both will run on either Mac or PC.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a new thought on this....

Like some here, I have written my own vending route accounting software.  It's very similar to Vend-Trak in many ways.  I suppose it should be similar because my software was written for the express purpose of managing vending routes, just like Vend-Trak.

However, as I was trying to develope and update my own program, a though keeps creeping into my head.  I'm finding that the things I want to do and keep track of are very similar to many checkbook account software packages like Quicken and KMyMoney (for you linux gurus).

Take a serious look.  You can set up a new 'account' as your vending route.  Any income from your locations or loans or sales of old equipment can be itemized as individual deposits.  Any commissions or fees or charity payouts can be listed as a debit. They can all be grouped together and therefore give you the ability to create detailed reports.

Some programs can even have settings for recurring events like paycheck deposts or bill pay reminders.  That can also be made to work for your advantage.

This is just off the top of my head, and i haven't actually played with it yet, so I could be all wet.

What do you think?

Darryl, you can absolutely use QB for this. I use QB to track things at a high level, but I have a friend who uses it at a detailed level like you said - one account per location.

Now, he is full line only. If you had 200+ bulk locations this could be a little problematic :)

Kevin

Darryl,

You are correct and I would actually recommend that an accounting program be used. Well, after all, why recreate the wheel.

Our program is not for accounting, but instead for operating your route. Data collected in the field may be imported for inclusion in accounting programs such as Quick Books.

With the Handheld usage in the field, data collection is a one-time shot. No more entering the data on paper and then entering it again into the computer when you get home. Just import the collected data from the handheld and you're done and ready to generate the next day or weeks route, GPS file and maps. Total time under 10 minutes.

Outlander,

Just wondering instead of a handheld device, can you just use your program on a laptop that is mounted inside your vehicle?  Or does it work better with handheld, and if it does what type of handheld device do you use?

shvend wrote:

Outlander,

Just wondering instead of a handheld device, can you just use your program on a laptop that is mounted inside your vehicle?  Or does it work better with handheld, and if it does what type of handheld device do you use?

Yes, you could use it that way but there are a couple of reasons I would not.

Your laptop and complete data of you route is subject to theft.

You would have to carry it into the location or use paper and double entry.

We use the HP Ipaq, but any handheld running Windows Mobile will work. They are small and fit into a shirt pocket and will only have the day or weeks route on it. Less likely to get stolen, just don't leave it at a location, especially the last one of the day. This would tend to ruin your day, unless the last stop was next door to your house.

I personally prefer to keep my data on our own computers for security sake.

As much as I like Vendtrak, I prefer to keep my data stored locally. Keep me informed on your progress. It sounds like a good idea to me and I would consider trying it out. Good luck.

g

Glad to help.

Have you checked out Vend-Trak? If not, they give you a free 2 month test drive. More than enough time to figure out if you like it or not. Just make sure you enter "vendiscuss" as your keycode.

Steve