Model 3182 cold food USI

loach33

Randy - I tried to pm you about getting some coin mechs fixed, etc.  DIdn't work.  Can you contact me?  Or send me your email address.

As for this -  I need to call VEndnet this morning to get their opinion but I thought I would try here too.  I went to service location that has one of these satellite machines.  I should have unplugged it with the holiday break.  They were closed for 5 days.   This machine was dark and the snack machine it's hooked to was locked up.  The display (which I should have written down) had just numbers...something like 6472....

So, I turned off the snack machine and turned it back on.  That came back up.  But all the prices, etc were reset to 2.00.  

The temp reading for the food machine said 78.  It was pretty warm in there in a place where the ambient temp was probably 35 or 40.  So I unplugged the food machine.   

So, the usual culprit - the light.  It looked like I was lucky it didn't catch fire.  Both ends were brown and the plastic housing had melted into the light.  The ends seemed fine that connect to the machine.

I had not noticed any flickering or anything with the light before I left it.  Could this be as simple as replacing the light bulb or should I look into something more.  Evidently the heater inside had stayed on as it was 78 inside the machine.  Nothing else looked wrong......no water inside, etc.

It sounds like you might have had a couple of issues there.  One could have been the light bulb though I haven't seen that machine melt the sockets before.  If the lamp or maybe the ballast failed it could have locked up your snack logic board which then prevented the food machine from cooling.  You might have also had a power surge or brown out that locked the logic board up and damaged your lamp and/or ballast.  The fact that the snack display was stuck on a static display of the software version number and that it lost all prices and probably all meter readings means that it had restarted due to a power off and on condition that was severe enough to reset the board to a factory default.  That would also lead to a power supply problem, or it again could have been the failed bulb that started it all.  Don't be surprised if you need a logic board, too. 

In any event you need to replace the bulb to begin with and then see where it takes you from there.  If the light won't work then you'll need a new ballast or socket for it.

I also make room in my PM box if you want to send a message.

I picked up a bulb this mornign so we'll see.  The snack machine did reset and seems to work fine.

This particular food machine did take a lightning strike and burnt out once before.  I had to replace the ballast.  I hope not too again as that was about $140 if I remember right.

Any thoughts on how to prevent it again?   This time wasn't lightning.  Who knows what happened over the Christmas break.

I'm surprised that lightning didn't also take out your snack machine before.  Do you have them on separate circuits?  If so then maybe the frozen circuit isn't as well protected as the snack circuit.  Your only protection is a high dollar surge protector that can take a high-joule strike and handle 20 amps that the frozen compressor can pull.  If the ballast is bad again I can send you a new ballast for much less than $140.

Thanks Randy - 

I did talk to the location about the plant powering up after being gone.  They do that every Monday though so it seems like this would have happened more often if it was related to that mass power up.

The snack machine, the ff2000 and a small change machine are on that same circuit.  The changer seems fine too.

We talked about an isolated circuit.  Would you say a high dollar surge protector would be better than an isolated circuit or vise versa?  

You can try a high dollar, high joule rating surge protector but it has to be able to handle the peak current draw of the CF1000 which could be 15 amps. That size surge protector will be expensive though.

If the corded GFI isn't tripping then it would be foolish to cut it off for no reason.  They don't fail and cause logic board issues, they will only cut power or trip repeatedly when they fail.  That's the only time I ever cut one off.

Archived