Stolen Equipment Recovered

Jax Snacks

Just want to share a funny story and how goofy vending can be sometimes.

5 months ago, I had a 3 head NW60 stolen from a car wash.  The ownership there had changed and the entire facility was remodeled.  My machine was nowhere to be found and the manager had no idea what had happened to it.  One employee told me that the contractors moved the machines out of the waiting room to get the work done.  I just figured that the machine conveniently ended up in the contractors van and that was the end of it.

Last night I get a call from a hotel and they told me to pick up my machine since they were closing the facility.  The funny thing was that I never stepped foot in this hotel before!  At first I thought it was a real stupid thief who relocated the machine but left my phone number on it.  I have heard that this has happened to other vendors before.

So today I arrive at the hotel. Guess what?  It was the same machine stolen from the car wash!  However, it had the same locks (two different codes) and there was no sign of tampering.  I asked the manager who the owner of the hotel was.  She told me he owned many properties - including car washes!  She then told me that he had bought a car wash in the same city where this machine was stolen.

At this point, I don't really think the machine was really stolen.  Rather a contractor got careless and left it in his van and decided to drop it at the hotel instead.  Or maybe the contractor did intend to steal it and got cold feet and then decided to not take the machine and dumped it in the hotel.  I will never really know.

It was nice to get back a $300 machine (replacement cost brand new with shipping) and $70 in quarters.  The moral of the story is to always have your phone number on your equipment.  Unless you are dumping or slamming them (lol) - just a joke to lighten up everyone.  But the story is real.  Also, never hand write your phone with a pen since it will fade or get blurred by the cleaning people - use a typed set phone number INSIDE the machine.

Jax

Along with my phone # I engraved a six digit code on my machines. Just in case there becomes a disagreement of the ownership. I have the same code on all of them. I'll just tell them the numbers are xxxxxx on the back and viola you know it's mine. I also saw on an episode of Cops if you engrave your drivers lic # on your property they can track you down to get it back to you! Not sure if I want that kind of information out in the general public.

Anyone that can slam a rack gets my vote for most valuable locator - even the Wolf Man can't do that! I really don't know why some rack vendors don't have I.D. on their stuff. Do the amusement vendors place tags on all of their machines?

Maybe they have been there for years and the owner knows who to call. Maybe they don't want other vendors to know who they are. Maybe they are hiding from various government entities like the IRS or the State Sales Tax Collector. Maybe they don't really care or think its important.

I am sure they have a reason, but rack slamming is probably not one of them.

Jax