Might be a stupid question but will ask anyway !!!

Guest betty51

Guest betty51

:?When someone ask how many machines you have , do you count a double headed on a stand 1 machine or 2 ??

I usually call them units. Like 150 units would mean 150 stands with either 2,3, head or a rake with 4 heads

I know a woman that claims to have 600 machines but she might have 10 heads on a rake .

would you call that a unit or 10 machines ??

Just have a need to know  .

:?I have people that ask all the time how many do you have . I never know what is the right answer .

I count the amount by mechs. I call the mechs "units" to the public. So, if you have a triple, that is three units. I do this:

A. The route software I use counts by the mechs.

B. That triple has 3 different units making money, its not one.

(Much like a store has 1,000's of selections, divided into isles that make up the store.)

Plus, it is much more easy to do it by mechs when doing commission sales.

Kyle

And Betty,

Its not a stupid question. It has never really been asked before, or has been answered in detail. You asked a good question.

What I think is ridiculous is when someone posts a question that I, and others have personally answered 100's of times on the forum. Its just a matter of using the "Search" button.

Kyle

To me 1 stand = 1 machine. I run singles and doubles and triples and DI. That is how I number my machines. I have X number of machines at X number of locations. I don't care how many heads I have I care about how many locations I have. So for me 1 stand with 2 heads is 1 machine because I will only have it at 1 location. But that's just me. Everyone does what works best for them. It's your business do what you want with it.;)

Ambiguous means basically obscure or open to more than one interpretation or meaning.

I too like to focus more on the number of locations (only the quality ones).

Just curious why you are asking? And no, I don't think it is a dumb question. Are you concerned about potential local licensing fees as well as charity label issues here?

For me a machine is one stand, so I have one charity label per stand. But if I add a second free standing machine (on a seperate stand), then I have a seperate charity label for the other machine. I would think that the same would apply to local licensing fees. So two double heads on seperate stands results in two charity labels. But four heads on a mini rack stand results in one charity label. Is that right or fair? Don't really know!

It can get debated a lot. What is the difference between three NW60 heads on a single stand and a NW Triple Play that has 3 selections in one box? In the end you have 3 selections. Should a charity label or local license fee be applied to each seperate NW60 head since they are 3 seperate machines? Or do you apply this for each coin mech on the NW Triple Play?

What about a U-Turn? Is it 4 selections in one unit (equating to one machine, one sticker) or 4 machines? If you add the second level to a 4-select U-turn and make it 8 selections, is it still just one machine (with one label)?

Throw in some racks and it gets even more interesting - I guess.

May need a few drinks (and a lot of extra time on your hands) to get to the bottom of it all!

Jax

Jax, you bring up some important points here that I previously never thought about before. So with that said, how would y'all go about doing the charity stickers and/or business licensing as far as determining the amount of "machines"? I know that for myself, it was easy this year cause I only had 3 singles to start with, but now I'm getting into doubles and triples, so what now?

I counts machines also. I started that way because mine are triples, as opposed to three separate heads on one stand. My state taxes buy my candy purchase as opposed to the machines I have, as long as I stay away from video games. LOL

I don't break down what each mech brings in because, for some reason, my quarters end up out of the trays as much as in them. I can tell if a product is moving by how often I have to refill it.

To me 1 stand = 1 machine. I run singles and doubles and triples and DI. That is how I number my machines. I have X number of machines at X number of locations. I don't care how many heads I have I care about how many locations I have. So for me 1 stand with 2 heads is 1 machine because I will only have it at 1 location. But that's just me. Everyone does what works best for them. It's your business do what you want with it.;)

Ambiguous means basically obscure or open to more than one interpretation or meaning.

Thanks , David , this is how I count them too .

I forget who ask why I need to know this . Well I have people ask all the time how many do you have ?

Thanks for all the input:D

betty

I count the amount by mechs. I call the mechs "units" to the public. So, if you have a triple, that is three units. I do this:

A. The route software I use counts by the mechs.

B. That triple has 3 different units making money, its not one.

(Much like a store has 1,000's of selections, divided into isles that make up the store.)

Plus, it is much more easy to do it by mechs when doing commission sales.

Kyle

Kyle,

You confused my here why do you need to know how many mechs there are when you pay commission??  I am 100% commission and I don't keep up with number of mechs for some reason.  Just curious, I know everyone does there own thing but was wondering.  Also what type of software do you use.

Here are the basics I use when I explain my routes:

1 stand = 1 machine

1 machine can = many heads (or mechs)... (and usually does)

The more heads you have on machines and in locations, the better off you are.  You have more heads turning quarters.  If a location does well for 4 or 8 weeks, upgrade it any way you can.  Sometimes you have to be creative with smaller locations, such as adding another single instead of a rack because of lack of space.  Other times you must bite the bullet and pull bad locations and re-locate or locate on your own.

I am trying to keep my average heads/location as high as possible.  This serves to:

-reduce service time/head by having more closer to each other

-increase income by having more heads in better producing locations

-reduce expense/hassle by less travel time to non-performing locations, product usage for non-performing locations, commissions/charity payments on bad locations (work smarter not harder)

-be able to handle larger routes that are good performers and close to each other, another factor in raising income and controlling expense.

I am not saying pull every stop if it doesnt do well one time, I still have bad stops that I keep, only because they are in the same area as 5 others than I can service in a half hour.  Keeping your locations close is another major help.  One of my routes I have 8 locations in 1 1/2 blocks which I can walk up and down either side of the street.

That is how I count it too.Great idea about keeping location close .

I have this area that has 3 streets and most are oil-feild offices. Well I have about 15 locations there . Its amazing how fast I can service this machines . Love it .

I worked to day and would have serviced 28 locations but ran out of 2 top seller . will finish in the morning . I only had 7 stops left and getting late .(did not want to miss The Young & the Restless LOL!!! shhh don't tell anyone !!!LOL!!)