Machine rocovery, well sort of . . .

sterling

Funny story I have to relate. A little background. 

I purchased 11 machines from a guy 5 or 6 months ago, 10 were on location. We both have bulk machines throughout the county and we continue to look out and help each other. I found a vandalized machine of his one time and took it to him. Currently connected him with a potential buyer for a 30-40 machines.  I lost a machine a few months ago, happens but I wasn't pleased due to it being the first lost one.

Today I happen across a machine of my friends. I say to the owners hey I know that guy how is the machine doing. They tell me he hasn't been there in a long time, maybe a year. I immediately call my friend and say, " what the heck man did you forget about it?" Apparently he did. He had a partner at one time and I guess he doesn't know where all his machines are? Since I have the key to his machines (I know it's wierd, but we trust each other) I go and see if it works. It does! He tells me go ahead and take the machine and location, "it's yours." I won't post how much was in there since he may read this and wants me to take him to Morton's steakhouse. It was cool to get a machine back . Even though it wasn't the one I that I lost.

I have lost about 3 machines . Funny how they simply walk out of a busy place and No one knows what happened .

I have a machine in a Barber shop and the old man died(sweet, sweet old man).He owned the building and his only child living lives in La Vagas and never comes here so Its lost .I wrote them off as a lost off my taxes.All you can do sometimes .

This year I lost 6 single head Oak Vista gumball machines.  Happily I got 2 of them back.

One grew legs and walked away.

One was vandalized when somebody broke into the location.  All I got back was the stand and the lid.

Four locations closed up.  Of those, 1 reopned so I left my machine in there.  I even made it a double at his request.  I got another one back by working with the leasing company cuz the location owners left the machine and other equipment in there.  For the last two, they closed down and took out ALL the equipment.  The leasing company was no help when trying to get the machines back.

This is a good reason why I service my machines once a month. I always try to take a little time to talk about the economy to the owner or employees. It gives me an idea on how their business is doing. Also good customer relations.

The vendors that service their machines every two to three months and dart in and out are usually the ones that lose their machines due to businesses closing. Alot can happen in three months, especially today with the way the economy is. Heck, alot can take place in a month.

I've been lucky so far. There are a couple that I have my eye on though.

I do mine ever month and have loss some too . I have had some really nice buz owners to call and tell me that they are closing but then I had some that just up and left and took everything they could take with them .

So you never know ..........

• 2 weeks later...

I love it when you find lost machines! THe company I bought ran into a problem with the contractors they were using. The contractors did not accurately record their new accounts. As I have marketed my machines I have found several some as old a 4 years which had not been serviced! When I collected the money, the collection almost paid for the machine in one swoop! The last time this happened I actually found TWO machines with two stands (one candy and one runts machine). Losing machines does happen and is easier to do when you get into the 100's of machines.