Last call

Beer980

I don't want to put words in Beer's mouth, but I think this contest goes like this.  We choose a locator, we all notify the locator at the some time to locate 2 locations.  Then compare such elements like:  Speed of getting the location, were you able to place the machines on 1st visit, type of location, amount the location did 1st month, cost of placing, ect...... 

Luke,

I really do not myself. There is something about soliciting business's that I enjoy.

Kyle

:D you know there is!!!!!

You guys should at least consider pitching in for the good of the group. You won't be frowned upon if you utilize a locator just once in the name of research. :D 

Kyle, I know you are not that far removed from using locators. I remember just a short time ago you relied heavily upon them.

Steve

It's quite alright Luke.

But what if VENDiscuss pays the locator fees for you? After all this really doesn't have anything to do with your views on using a locator. It's all about "testing" and "grading" the performance of specific locators then helping other vendors out by posting the results.

Steve

I would like to do more business with the locators here, but they generally only want to place charity machines - which is not the direction that I want to go in. Since I am moving more into commission racks, the charity spin just doesn't cut it. It's me, the owner, the rack and the percentage - no games, no bull (unless you spin the gross/net thing, but let's not rehash that one!). This is not a knock on charity machines (since I still have over 100 of them) or the locators - they just don't fit in with my current business model.  There is a real need for good commission rack locators - any takers??!!

Jax

Jax,

Marjorie with MidWest locates commission racks. She will even negotiate the lowest commission rate on your behalf so when you go in to place the rack, there is already an agreed upon commission percentage.

Simply give Marjorie your maximum % you want to pay and she will usually get you in for less.

Steve

I've been looking at my route like a good portfolio.  I like to be diverse.  I have some comission locations I never could have got (or stayed with charity).  I also have Charity locations I would have never got with a comission.  I think a good balance of both is what is right for me.

I am now trying to balance with "other" vending.  For example, I have a bar that does pretty good, the owner is very open to "whatever I can come up with" , I am looking into a Megatouch and Condom vending for this location.  I figure if I could turn this into a $150+ stop, it could be a flagship location for me. 

I have another location (large pizza place), I'm working on stickers and maybe a skill crane game for them.  Once again, this could be a $100+ location.....

I'm looking how I want to grow my business and I just am not sure I could ever be in a position to service 200 machines a month/6 weeks, so I need to create flagship locations and build smaller locations in the immediate areas........

Anyways, I have a locator who I've been using for awhile, I am really happy with them and I think they offer some things other locators don't.  There has been little to no chat about them on Vendiscuss and I'm looking forward to putting them up in the challenge..

Excellent points BluePlate!

Diversity and balance is important to me as well. It not only protects you, but let's you get more locations in a smaller radius (since once size does not fit all in this case).

I also agree with your notion of flagship locations. I like to thing of my route as a large shopping mall with some large solid anchor stores (commission racks and interactive machines) as well as the many smaller stores in the mall (charity machines).  They combine for great diversity.

I just want to get some more good anchor stores!

And also, thanks for that info on Midwest, Steve.  I will look into it in January.

Jax

Steve,

Even though you have thrown a generous offer to pay the fees for me, I am still going to have to pass on the locator!

Ok, Ok Luke! I guess I will stop pestering you now. :D Geez, I can't even give 2 locations away! :shock:

Steve

We are going to change the contest to a 4 way battle and start it the first of the year. So if anyone gets a couple of machines for presents hold on to them for the contest. As it stands one person will use two different locators and another will use two different ones as well. Perhaps we can use those locations Steve for a final round putting the leader from each for an overall winner. The Super Bowl of Locators Contest.