Rosetta Stone

dperry

I am considering buying a copy of Rosetta Stone for spanish.  I figure it will help me to locate in areas that don't speak english.  I know the basic set costs about $200, and can go up to $500 or more for the full set.

Has anybody had any experience with them?  Are they any good?  Have they helped you?

I have it and it seems like a good way to learn. I only started lesson one but I have been too busy to get back to it. It seems very well presented and the pictures help quite a bit. Each lesson does take some time to get through but it seems to build on what you learn. It keeps testing you until you know the material before you move on. Oddly enough I got it to help our family when we move to Texas. Kinda sad to think that you need to learn another language to move to another part of the country but it is what it is. I have the Spanish 1 & 2 but there is a third one for when you get advanced. My brother in law says it has helped him learn it well enough to now be the interpreter of his ICU wing in FTW. There are two parts. The main program and the language packs. Onece the main one is installed you can add any additional languages and they appear in a menu. It can also be set up with different users so you can procede at your pace and you wife or kids could also have their own accounts. Your kids could also study French or German or whatever other one by just adding another language pack.

Headset and mic are not required but you will be able to use them. There are many depths to this program. You can have it speak the words to you, or speak and show the word. You can speak the words into a mic and it determins if it is pronounced correct. There is also a typing part where you type in the correct word or phrase also.