crane genesis problem

buyer214

I have an odd problem with a crane genesis coffee machine (other than it being a POS).... I close the door and it powers up as usual, all is normal, until I make as selection, it starts working for a few seconds, then shuts off completely (like I unplugged it or opened door) no obvious problem with the door or switch, or the plug/gfci

Forgot to say, 10 seconds later it powers up again.... All is fine until I pay for a selection.

It sounds like you are losing some point of reference in the vend cycle and then after the normal dispense time allotted has passed, the machine goes back to normal standby.  Just glancing through the manual (are you getting any error messages) I would check for proper position recognition of the moving dispense head or of the brewer itself.  Both of those are required to make switches in certain parts of the vend cycle and this might not be happening.

You might have an I/O board issue or one of the switches on those parts of the vend circuit is bad.  I have no experience with these machines and never even knew Crane was selling them but they look like they are mostly for export use (actually probably imported to the US) so there may not be many out anywhere.  It could even be something weird like the boiler temperature probe not reporting the correct water temp.  Also, look at your flow meter.  The machine might not be seeing any water flow to the brewer, but I would imagine these things would create error codes.  For that reason I'd look at all the harnessing, especially any harnesses close to the moving parts.  You might just be having a loose connector lose contact during the vend and the machine then doesn't know what to do except just end the vend and start over.  Do the grounds dump and everything go back to normal standby?

It doesn't get to the point of griding coffee (that's last) ill check for the obvious loose wires and things like that (already checked quickly, nothing obvious) worst case we have a machine waiting in warehouse, I'll try swapping the board or anything else I can think of....

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

The first thing I would try is connections. Start at the door/then fuse/then main board. is the machine going thru a start up? if so follow the power going into the back. last resort is the mainboard. Do you have a 2nd unit to switch from? if not you could try a tech referred from Crane or send board in (Arbortronics in Toronto) or I can sell you a used one $90 that works.

Archived