Taking The Plunge!

CJvend

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We cover about 600 miles of I-5 from Olympia, WA to Redding, CA. I am based out of Salem, OR though.

I'm about another hour up I-5 closer to Seattle. Nothing close to as big as you guys though... I'm just starting out up here.

Hey guys! I am new to this forum and vending as well, and am going through much the same experience as CJvend (looking into jumping in a starting a small bulk route). I purchased 50 of the honor mint boxes 2 weeks ago and placed 30 myself (within the last 5 days). I think the 50 mint boxes will do just fine as a starter, but not sure about the long-term sustainability.

I purchased 25 of the snack honor boxes as well, but have yet to purchase product as I am having a very difficult time making the following decision:

A. Place 20 honor snack boxes and service those.

B. Purchase and place 10 bulk vending machines (used of course). I think these may be more difficult to place. 

I KNOW both have advantages and drawbacks. I am seriously on the fence and want to make a decision very soon. I am fine with the higher upfront cost of bulk machines and can sell the snack boxes on CL if I decide not to go that route. I think my concern is reading about the high turnover with honor boxes on this site. Also, it seems like most who start using honor boxes move into bulk or out of the business, as it is an entry point. 

Any advice or information helping me make this decision would be most appreciated. I usually do not second guess myself this much, but this forum has been both a blessing and a curse reading everyone's successes and failures.

It's going to depend on what you want to do. Bulk isn't as much hands on as the snack boxes. You place it then check it every month or 2. The snack boxes are going to be more frequent and are probably more volatile as far as how long they stay in a location.

That was my line of thinking as well Quikvend. Plus buying 20-30 different types of snacks and worrying about expiration dates. Plus theft, although can happen, has to be lower. 

I think I am going to purchase 10 bulk and see how they do. Assuming I buy used for less than 100 per machine, would it be safe to assume I could break even and reach profit within 6 months (assuming a descent location for the machines)?

There are lots of variables with that question. Depending on machines and product offered you could. Aim for higher margin candies(specifically gumballs) and using mostly single or double head machines should help reach your goal. Also depends on location as well, obviously.

Archived