Wrench for Norther Beaver

iwannaapple

I just bought a Northern Beaver not too long ago.  I even ordered the toys and from there I deternined I needed a .75 cent mech so I ordered that and a few other things from Beaver. Great prices, but after recieving everything I figured out I needed this special tool to put it on the stand. Now I can't order form Beaver because they have a 50$ minimum. I would have included the first time around but at that time I didn't no I needed one. Would anyone have one for sale. Beaver sells them for around 3.50 and I wouldn't mind paying as much as 7. Absolutly can't even put it on the stand without it! Here's a picture I found of it but it doesnt show the 3 knobs in front.

odds-and-tattoo-032-562x600-468x500.jpg

10 hours ago, ussb1 said:

Needle-nose pliers

unless your not comfortable taking machine apart?

Needle nose pliers will not work. The guide holes are to shallow. You pretty much have to do it with the wrench pictured above. However, I could drill the guide holes to make them deep enough for needle nose pliers but that would not work either. It would damage the underlying threads not to mention you cannot turn needle nose pliers upside, right side up, whichever way, and use the pointed ends to apply enough torque to tighten the machine down. So then I am back to square one and I just want to know how everyone who has Northern Beavers tighten the bolt down and make theirs fit when the bolt that comes with the quick release plate is precisely flush with the base of the machine even when not tightened down. From the looks of it it is made to turn one and half turns and that is it. Its just too flush and too precise. I thought maybe someone might have an extra wrench they could sell me.

Oh yeah, I forgot. the picture doesn't show but that wrench pictured doesn't show the three guide pins that are on the other side used to tighten the bolt. Bolt has the three holes in it. Thanks for the help though. I am definitly frustrated about this.

Did you end up ordering the tool? Can you post some pics of the inside of the machine where it attaches to the stand? Does this tool attach to a ratchet? Is the reason for this a special bolt or something? We don't do toys yet and I had no idea this was a thing. I wish some people who operated these would chime in but I haven't noticed many people on here using beaver for their toy vending.

Just got in the mail yesterday. It looks exactly like the above picture except there are 3 guide pins on the other side which is used to turn the bolt. The bolt is so exact and flush with very precise threads that you only can turn it about a half a turn and the machine is solidly on the quick release thingy that attaches to the stand. I will post a picture this weekend so you can see better. But yes, you definitely need this tool otherwise you are out of luck putting it on the stand. From Beaver it is only $3.50 but you have to have a $50 minimum to order. I wound up ordering it from entervending for about 11 including shipping. He is quite familiar with the tool now that I have pointed it out to him. It only took about 2-3 days to get here and it works great (from whenever i posted the above). Oh yeah, it is palm size and comfortable to turn with your hand.

It gave me a whole new look at precision engineering at its best and simplest.

4 hours ago, zjtaylor said:

Did you end up ordering the tool? Can you post some pics of the inside of the machine where it attaches to the stand? Does this tool attach to a ratchet? Is the reason for this a special bolt or something? We don't do toys yet and I had no idea this was a thing. I wish some people who operated these would chime in but I haven't noticed many people on here using beaver for their toy vending.

I meant to say that no, its not a ratchet tool. It's made to turn with your hand but it is definitly machined well enough where that is all the torque you need. And, yeah, I'm with you on this is the first you've heard of it. No one seems to mention it on here. I have an NB 26. Its pretty nice. I would advise you to decide what you want to sell in it first before you buy it. Also, if you buy it used, the guys at Beaver can help you set it up the way you want it. I have 1" toys in it now and it vends nicely with no problems but it is not set up correctly with the right wheel. It is set up for medium candy and I just noticed that it was already adjusted at its largest opening for 1". Looks like it can go as wide as 2 1/4 inches. Only problem with that is that when it gets low it will not vend whats on top of the plastic price sticker thingy. I would need the correct wheel and a new metal thing to hold the price sticker and give the toys more room at the bottom to spin. I just don't know how to word it. I hope you know what I mean. So if you found what you wanted to vend first, you can get all that straightened out in 1 order from Beaver and get the wrench too. By the way. Don't waste your time trying to get something to hold the display card. Beaver doesn't make display holders anymore. What they have is binder clips (Hinged binder clip) that you can get from the dollar store and do the same thing. Turn those clips upside down, clip onto display card, and hang them on the side hooks that they have put there for that purpose. I rambled, to finish, what I mean is, their are different size wheels, get one or two or three, and the little metal thing that holds the price tag and whatever they help you with. That way you can change from size to size easier.

On 9/15/2016 at 3:41 PM, iwannaapple said:

Just got in the mail yesterday. It looks exactly like the above picture except there are 3 guide pins on the other side which is used to turn the bolt. The bolt is so exact and flush with very precise threads that you only can turn it about a half a turn and the machine is solidly on the quick release thingy that attaches to the stand. I will post a picture this weekend so you can see better. But yes, you definitely need this tool otherwise you are out of luck putting it on the stand. From Beaver it is only $3.50 but you have to have a $50 minimum to order. I wound up ordering it from entervending for about 11 including shipping. He is quite familiar with the tool now that I have pointed it out to him. It only took about 2-3 days to get here and it works great (from whenever i posted the above). Oh yeah, it is palm size and comfortable to turn with your hand.

It gave me a whole new look at precision engineering at its best and simplest.

Not sure how much torque is needed to turn the bolt - but it may be possible to 3D print a part like that in the future...

Archived