Humane Society

cavity

Hi Cavity.  I use the local homeless shelter, but I am considering hooking up with the humane society as well.  It's a piece of cake to hook up with local charities.  Just call and talk with the head honcho and let them know you would like to donate to them every month from your vending route, and that you are wondering if they have any stickers, pamphlets, etc to give to prospective locations.  Good luck!

Cavity,

Gabe's right - it's real easy getting in to local charities. We have a large area set up on local charities consisting of fire departments (really good in rural areas where there's mostly volunteer departments), food banks and pantries, and Womens crisis centers.

Sometimes the more local a charity is, the easier it is to get into a local business. I can't say it necessarily helps your sales a lot, but it is easier to get decision makers to say yes since their clientele are sometimes composed of those sympathetic to the charity.

I don't think national charities are bad either, it's just further removed from the thinking of the local decision maker. Just my 2 cents.

Mark

OK, so I went to to the local H.S. today and spoke with the director.  They want nothing to do with vendors as far as a sponsorship is concerned.  They had a bad apple in the past and the B.O.D. decided not to take this route again.  But, they will execpt my donations!! 

So, do I go with another H.S. that is a bit farther away, or can I just tell my prospective clients that I donate a portion of the proceeds to this H.S. (even though we have no formal agreement with them).  Any advise?      

-Steve

That is weird that they would turn away money like that. I guess you could go with that idea to still give some to them and list it on the stickers. Someone else was trying to use the local high school band. That may be another avenue to explore or you could just try a straight commission.

If I go with this H.S., we won't be able to go tax free, is that correct since we are not sponsored?? 

If we can get ourselves sponsored by the one in Volusia County I believe it will all be tax exempt since they are 501© 3, or am I off on this? 

-Steve   

• 2 weeks later...

So. I finally scored a large local H.S. the other day.  They were very accommodating and are enthusiastic about our partnership.  To my surprise, tthe Development Dept. wants me to put in a full size vending machine (snack) at the H.S.  There are about 50 employees and are about 3/4 mile to the nearest convenience store. Don't know if it will be $ worth it or not  + servicing so freq-.  45mile drive RT.  Prices on a good used machine, brand, etc...Any suggestions?

-Steve 

If I go with this H.S., we won't be able to go tax free, is that correct since we are not sponsored?? 

If we can get ourselves sponsored by the one in Volusia County I believe it will all be tax exempt since they are 501© 3, or am I off on this? 

-Steve   

Does anyone know if we are tax exempt, simply by donating to a charity or non-profit cause? I'm going to ask my tax lady, but I would think that a for profit business would be taxed.

Ernie

-Steve   

Does anyone know if we are tax exempt, simply by donating to a charity or non-profit cause? I'm going to ask my tax lady, but I would think that a for profit business would be taxed.

Ernie

only they money you donate will be tax exempt

Charitable Organizations

Food and drinks sold for 25 cents or less through a coin-operated vending machine sponsored by a charitable organization qualified under sections 501©(3) or 501©(4), Internal Revenue Code, are exempt.