Video arcades

dperry

I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has experience with video games and arcade machines.  I have a tattoo parlor who is asking for some to go with my gumballs.

darryl, i have only bought a few old games, ms pac and galaga. i had a place today that wants me to put in about 5 or 6  video games. the only thing is i cant fix them and i am  a cheap golpher so i dont like to pay a service tech.

try buying them used at auction before you spend a bunch of money. they are expensive new. the ones i bought were less than $400 at the auction.

i just might have to buy some for the stop today. it is a burger joint across the street from a high school and a comm college.

the roi on the new games takes way to long for me.

darryl, i have only bought a few old games, ms pac and galaga. i had a place today that wants me to put in about 5 or 6  video games. the only thing is i cant fix them and i am  a cheap golpher so i dont like to pay a service tech.

try buying them used at auction before you spend a bunch of money. they are expensive new. the ones i bought were less than $400 at the auction.

i just might have to buy some for the stop today. it is a burger joint across the street from a high school and a comm college.

the roi on the new games takes way to long for me.

• 1 month later...

Pusherman, hope all is well.  You would be suprised at how easy the games are to fix nowadays.  Except pinballs.(they are always a golpher)  I had a problem with one of my fast and furios driving games. I was dreading the fix, but actually turned out ok.  Most of the time its a main board that can easily be replaced.  If you deal with a large distributor like Betson they have tech guys that will walk you through any problems that might arise.  I can understand your concerns with the sticker shock of game pricing , but  again if you use a good distributor you can trade in your equipment for newer versions every couple of years.  I also understand ROI.  Most company's have either in house financing available or they deal with other financing company's  which can ease some of the pricing concerns.  I have leased many pieces and it has been working well for us. 

Zeke

• 2 months later...

My uncle used to own an arcade back in the early 90's. THe days of the glorious arcade rooms filled with machines are over sadly.

There isn't much demand for arcade machines now days with the emergence of high end gaming consoles.

You can buy new machines that play the older games but they are quite expensive and probably arent worth it unless you're a collector.

Yes   I am the owner of the company

I want to get a big buck hunter pro for my shop do you lease this game?

I have been aproached by one of my locations for an adult style arcade similar to a dave and busters how much money would we be talking for an operation like that?he already runs a pizza shop,all we would need is the arcade part no kitchen.it would be in a seperate room that used to be a full sizes bar.

What is the foot traffic like?  Does the owner plan on advertising gameroom?  How many peices would fit?  What is square footage of space?  Does he want to run redemption?  These are a few questions you would need to know. There are way too many scenario's which would effect the overall cost without certain info.  So I wouldn't even throw a casual number out there.  I own an arcade and we run mainly cranes with a few stackers.  And I know what that takes financially...so get some more info and hopefully we can be of some help.

Zeke

What is the foot traffic like?  Does the owner plan on advertising gameroom?  How many peices would fit?  What is square footage of space?  Does he want to run redemption?  These are a few questions you would need to know. There are way too many scenario's which would effect the overall cost without certain info.  So I wouldn't even throw a casual number out there.  I own an arcade and we run mainly cranes with a few stackers.  And I know what that takes financially...so get some more info and hopefully we can be of some help.

Zeke

if my activity director(wife)doesn`t have any plans we will go Monday to get answers on some of those questions.when we first talked about it I wasnt sure how serious he was but it seems he is the room.I would need a partner or 2,since I expect it to be at least a few hundred k`s.he wants some virtual reality games.I like to play raceing games when I see them so I`d have to have one of those if this works out!!

If your planning on making this a food place with a FEC attached, I would suggest contacting a company who specializes in these things.  It's a whole lot more than purchasing games and hoping people show up to play.  Your taking a current business which you do not own, and trying to upgrade it with the entertainment value.  I'm not saying that its a bad thing,  but if the foot traffic does not sustain the investment you will lose your shirt.  That is why it is important to know what the owner exactly wants and how he will plan on bringing people there to spend money.  I could easily place games, but if I put a 5000.00 game in a location that avg's 50 persons a day then it will take forever to see a return on my investment.  Take things slow... and make sure if you do attempt to undertake this get some proffessional help.  Sometimes a lttle money will save you much more in the end.

Zeke

• 4 months later...

I am thinking about expanding my bulk business and moving some bar-top like arcade machines into some of the tattoo parlours that I have on my bulk route.  But, I know nothing about running an arcade vending business.  How do you approach the owner?  I am assuming you give a cut to the house, but I don't know how much.  I have heard that you should give up to %50 to the house.  I am told that the house has to pay for the electricity, etc.  Plus it's a good way to get them to keep you in there.

What would be the good brands/models for such a thing?  Do you keep a location contract?

There is only one arcade in Nelson where I live. It does very good money!

They are the same as vending machines - location, locations, location!!

Lots of foot traffic = good ROI.

Best machines are the ones that make people compete with each other. Car racing/shooting. Air Hockey is always a favourite.

• 1 month later...

Iam thinking about getting into arcade/video games.  I was recently approached by a friend of mine who works at a tourist attraction . He told me that  there was a space for lease and thought  i would be interested in a game room.  It was a game room about 2 years ago had about  5-6 games, he said it did well but was bought out by a parent company they bought in there own biz a chime biz first then there was a build a bear neither worked out.  What type of questions should I find out and how should I approach the reginal manger to even see if he'd let me rent the place? (email,call,or stop by) Is it cheaper to lease games or to buy them on ebay if your just starting out with a limited amount to spend.  Where can I lease a game?

thanks  

• 1 month later...

I decided to get into arcade games. I buy older games for less than $300 each on Craigslist and eBay auctions that are within 200 miles of me . I am focusing on placing these games in laundry mats and bars. I pay 50% commission to the location owners.  I also try to place bulk vending racks at laundry mats, too.