Idea for a rack

lurtsman

What is the best 2 inch vend item for this location?  

1. 1. What is the best 2 inch vend item for this location?

I'm putting together a rack for that pizza place I keep talking about.

Here's what I'm thinking about doing.

The frame: http://www.gumball-machine.com/machine-racks-3.html

The bottom row: 3 Super 60s and one oak vista

Gumballs, runts/skittles, RP, blockheadz in the vista. Already have the 60s on location. The vista would be purchased here. (40$ with lock, have it set to 1.1 inch capsules.)

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=3588&forum_id=7

Then the top row:

Two super 80s, 50 cent vend of 2 inch capsules:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=125413

(Please confirm that the two inch capsule wheel comes at 50 cents by default since I can't find a way to tell on the page)

These super 80s would do dentures by Dwayne and either sponge bob series 2, or lip gloss rings. (Trying to make the second something the girls will want also)

http://www.aaglobalind.com/bulk-vending/bulk-vending-toys/2-inch-capsuled-toys/NIC55C-spongebob-squarepants-figurines-series-2-bulk-vending.htm

That's the sponge bob series 2, based on where they were in excel sheet they should be a 2 inch capsule. Can anyone tell me if those do indeed come in capsules?

In the middle of the top row one super 80 sticker machine:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=112597

It would vend two types of tattoos:

Alchemy dragon tattoos on onside

Dora the explorer tattoos are on A&As website, but not in our excel sheet. Most likely around 30$ though, maybe 36$?  (From A&A, for simplicity sake I'm going to stick to one supplier for toys/flat, and A&A has a good reputations and endorsements from vendors I trust) That would let me hit the young kid market, in the library both boys and girls at a young age love Dora. The dragons should work fairly well for the young to median young boys.

There's a listing of their products and prices in the spread sheet at the top.

Also, does anyone know how much it would cost me on shipping? It's kind of a moot point since I will order it anyway unless shipping is crazy for toys/stickers, I'd expect it to be fairly low.

So, what do you guys think?

Do I need to push harder for used machines to save money on start up costs? Do I need to change some of the products? Is the rack frame itself reliable? It's much cheaper than other comparable racks I've seen. The whole thing is fairly expensive, but if I pay commission @ 40% off net and only service every two months it should still be a large enough payment for them to be happy. I think I'll buy lunch there when I go to service if the GM is there. Customers are always appreciated more, and it shows some respect for their business.

Thank you for your responses everyone. When I started thinking about vending in early December I had no idea I could have a rack like this set up by the start of March.

THANK YOU!

That is a good amount to lay out for new machines plus product to fill all those machines. If you have the money to invest then new is going to last you a long time. On the other hand if you can luck into a deal then you will get your money back sooner on that 40% commission. I don't know if you will get away with a two month service gap, I would think a month is streaching it. If it does last two months then I would think there is not enough persons buying or you have a bad product mix.

If it sells enough to require monthly service, I will be quite excited. It is fairly possible that it does move that fast during the summer, particularly on two inch capsule machines that can only hold about 170 vends. It will use up most of my vending budget to make this move, but I'm okay with that as long as it is a good investment. It will certainly help me learn more about capsules and stickers.

I'm anticipating 450$ in machines/sales/tax/shipping, and another 60 for the stand (shipping for a stand that size has to bite me). Then in new product 30x5 = 150ish. So 660$ish total invested. Not counting machines currently on location. I do not plan to sell this rack at any point though. Five (or 10) years from now I'd like to still have this rack bringing in quarters. Hopefully in that time frame quarters are still enough to keep vending profitable. Changing out coin mechs can be harsh. 25 cent mechs will still be fine for gumballs though.

lurtsman,

My suggestion is to buy used. You have machines within a reasonable driving distance of you and buying used will let you put alot more machines on the street working. You have a nice big rack that is brand new for only $350 in your area.  You just need to expand your search a bit.  You're not that far from Ill., you can drive to Chicago and back in the same day, Omaha and back same day, you get the point.  You can find good buys in your driving area.  I'm gonna pm you with something to check out for sure.

nam

I want to go get it this weekend. I'd consider going tonight or calling in sick to work.

doesn`t` that defeat the purpose though?you are going to pick up a used rack to save money but u will miss out a a days worth of work?
I'd be using paid sick time, and I've only had one cold in the last four years. (Though I have a scratchy throat right now, I guess we'll see if I can beat the cold before getting it.)

When I move on to another job they won't pay out my unused sick time, so it shouldn't have any impact on my take home pay :). I'm picking the rack up Sunday (my usual day off)

antoniocinisi wrote:

I want to go get it this weekend. I'd consider going tonight or calling in sick to work.

doesn`t` that defeat the purpose though?you are going to pick up a used rack to save money but u will miss out a a days worth of work?

I usually cash in my sick days and vacation days for money. Like lurtsman I am never sick so they just pile up. I just cashed in 25 hours yesterday for some money to buy racks or sticker machines and I still have 190 hours left. I have been at this job for 9 1/4 years without using a sick day.

antoniocinisi wrote:

I usually cash in my sick days and vacation days for money. Like lurtsman I am never sick so they just pile up. I just cashed in 25 hours yesterday for some money to buy racks or sticker machines and I still have 190 hours left. I have been at this job for 9 1/4 years without using a sick day.

That's great beer. I don't think my job allows that, or if they do it is no where near a 100% conversion. As I look for a better job I'm looking for somewhere that I would be happy to work for many years. Currently I'm just working at a library to keep something on my resume and keep some money from flowing. Nine years without a sick day though, you went to work sick huh? :)

Archived