Being audited

AMD Snacks

I have been audited several times. Not a big deal. As long as you have good records. The IRS does not like cash businesses. Been a long time since I was audited though, I think they have had staff cut backs. There are so many legal ways to offset business expenses there really is no excuse for getting in tax trouble. But what they will look for: receipts are a must for purchases, create a purchase order system so you can easily find your receipts; document mileage, keep a note book in your vehicle to keep track of the mileage of business use; be careful of travel expense, keep good records of meals and hotels; be careful of using a deduction for business use of part of your home, be very specific and detailed; that's the main areas I think, remember: receipts, receipts, recieipts, if you don't have them the expenses will be disallowed. 

Yea receipts are my hardest thing to keep track of. Just not organized enough I think, but I'm working on it. Good to hear it's been a while. What about route purchases? Is just an informal paper stating details and signed good enough?

There is no doubt about it, the KGB is one scary outfit. I know, I have faced off against them more than once.

But if you play it straight and just use basic business practices you shouldn't have any worries.

Even if you don't play it straight and fudge on your gross receipts. As long as they can't track it, you should be fine as well. Of course you can't live in a mansion and drive luxury cars and send your kids to private schools, then put $35,000 on your 1040 Form. If you do, you will have problems with them.

Archived