Rural locations and snack accessibility

VAVending

So I’m curious about something.

I’m based in a rural area, about a 30 minute drive from the closest town. I typically drive into town to do my box placing.

What I’m wondering is this: there are several small businesses scattered around where I live that I haven’t placed yet just because I started my route in the town due to the high density of businesses there. Do rural locations tend to do better because of lack of nearby grocery stores? Or do they do worse because everyone is already used to bringing their own food and snacks?

Anyone have experience with this?

Rural locations can be good accounts.  We have several routes that are built on a cluster of smaller rural towns.  As a general rule (but this is not set in stone), rural accounts tend to have much lower shortage, but also lower volume.  Bigger cities tend to have higher volume, but also higher shortage.  Now, of course, this doesn't apply to every account, but more like a guideline.  Avoid putting on a single account or two in a small rural town, especially if it is out of the way to get to.  However, if you live there and start your day there, then by all means, put those accounts on!  Just my 2 cents!  :) 

1 hour ago, flintflash said:

Rural locations can be good accounts.  We have several routes that are built on a cluster of smaller rural towns.  As a general rule (but this is not set in stone), rural accounts tend to have much lower shortage, but also lower volume.  Bigger cities tend to have higher volume, but also higher shortage.  Now, of course, this doesn't apply to every account, but more like a guideline.  Avoid putting on a single account or two in a small rural town, especially if it is out of the way to get to.  However, if you live there and start your day there, then by all means, put those accounts on!  Just my 2 cents!  :) 

Good to know your experiences. I’m not even “in town” out here, but there are maybe 8 small businesses along the way to the city. Banks, outdoor equipment, plumbers, etc.  Very scattered but on the route.

My plan was to place them after I’d run through the burgh I’m currently working, but it makes sense to do so now. I’ve just gotten used to getting out of the car once and hitting 12 businesses before having to get back in the car.

Archived