Newbie looking for feedback

Fcivit45

I've been lurking on this forum for sometime now and am anxious to make the leap into the vending business.  I want to start small, a single machine or 2 small.  I figure it's better to learn and make mistakes with one machine than with 10. Charity with either a single or double, candy, perhaps 1" eggs...  With that being said, I'm thinking about paying a locator for the first one.  I've read on these forums that you won't survive if you can't source your own locations, which I get.  I'm in sales and deal with business owners/hr dept's on a daily basis.  I'm fairly confident I can put in the required effort to source my own.  However, I would feel a lot more comfortable and confident having someone locate my first one.  Im not expecting or trying to make significant  amount of money here.  I'm trying to build a sustainable business for the long haul and build it the right way so that I can potentially make a good amount of profit down the road.  Thoughts? Am I making a mistake? Should I just try and do it all myself? 

Go charity gumball and or/candy. Buy quality used equipment (Oak, Northwestern. Beaver or Eagle). I would encourage you to set a target of at least 10 locations so you have an idea what it's like to run an actual route. It also affords you the opportunity to increase the product variety you offer. You will only be servicing in 60 to 90 day cycles so it's not like it's a huge time commitment. If you want to use a locator that is fine but eventually you should get out there and try your hand at it especially if you are trying to operate a long term sustainable vending route. The one thing you need to understand about bulk vending is that losing and finding new locations is a constant part of the game. Businesses close, management changes, and just plain terrible sales are just some of the things that will force you to pull a machine. If you take it home and put it in the garage it won't be long before you have a no room to park your car as idle machines can multiple quickly. As soon as you lose a location you need to be back on the street looking for a new home for that machine because it ain't making any money in the garage. Good luck.

Archived