Beaver Machines

Brando

I know they are on the higher end of bulk vending (and thus a little pricey), but does anyone have any experience with their machines?  They look really attractive and i have heard that they are really durable/low maintenance. 

I agree the machines look great and I hear they are the best machine.  Seems like a popular machine for mall locations. My wife wants me to buy these exclusively but with the cost difference I am not sure it makes sense. I would love to hear from someone who has these if they are really worth the added expense compared to AA or Oak.

I own a few Beavers and they are good quality machines, but like everything there are compromises.

Beaver positives:

Best looking machine on the market ( subjective opinion)

Great coin mech with clutch on new generation machines

Options- you can get a Beaver configured just about any way you want it

Beaver negatives:

COST     Face it, we're all trying to build routes here and cost directly affects how many locations we can secure. It takes hundreds of locations to make a living at this and if one machine is twice as expensive as another, yet does the exact same job, it will take twice as long to build your business.

Servicing-

That round head that looks so good is harder to service because the opening is smaller

Coins are harder to remove(than an Oak) unless you get the optional cash box

Risk- The more a machine costs the more you are out when it is damaged, stolen or the business closes

Good luck, choose wisely, Tom  

That they don't permote because no one buys it. How does that make sence?

They also have the Northern Beaver if you want a HUGE machine or to do 2" products.

The only thing I have from Beaver is a Flat-Pak. Nice machine, I just need time to place it.

Guth Vending wrote:

Beaver does have a square globe!

"COST     Face it, we're all trying to build routes here and cost directly affects how many locations we can secure. It takes hundreds of locations to make a living at this and if one machine is twice as expensive as another, yet does the exact same job, it will take twice as long to build your business."

I want to focus on one aspect of this quote:

"if one machine is twice as expensive as another, yet does the exact same job, it will take twice as long to build your business"

I take issue with that because it will take much more than just twice the time to build the same route.  Because when you have double the machines you are making double the profits and compounding your profits doubly quick.  Which means you can buy new machines twice as quick.  So by the time you have your second machine if you're buying expensive beavers you may be up to 5 machines with the cheaper ones.

I THINK, that many people on here underestimate the fact of compounding in this business.  Cheaper is better in this biz. 

Rob

http://www.kickstartvending.com/

Yes, but if it costs $5 less but breaks 3 times more often, it's not worth it.

Beaver machines are not for small locations EVER. It would be like buying a Porsche just for going to work, across the street. It's just silly.

I've you have a mall, supermarket or a restaurant that moves an insane amount of volume, start thinking about Beaver.

candyman007 wrote:

"COST     Face it, we're all trying to build routes here and cost directly affects how many locations we can secure. It takes hundreds of locations to make a living at this and if one machine is twice as expensive as another, yet does the exact same job, it will take twice as long to build your business."

I want to focus on one aspect of this quote:

"if one machine is twice as expensive as another, yet does the exact same job, it will take twice as long to build your business"

I take issue with that because it will take much more than just twice the time to build the same route.  Because when you have double the machines you are making double the profits and compounding your profits doubly quick.  Which means you can buy new machines twice as quick.  So by the time you have your second machine if you're buying expensive beavers you may be up to 5 machines with the cheaper ones.

I THINK, that many people on here underestimate the fact of compounding in this business.  Cheaper is better in this biz. 

Rob

http://www.kickstartvending.com/

Yea and you've also been in business less than a year.

OK lets think about this. Doing some easy figured math.

You have a location that is doing $600 net per year. That's $50

per month.

Now lets say you have a machine that has the handles screw backs out of the coin mech, dropping the handle. This is an issue that my imported machines are having after a year and 6 months.

Lets also say your unlucky and it breaks only a week after your last service. Something that has also happened to me. And yes I know it was a week or less because of the number of quarters I was behind than normal.

A month has about 4 weeks in it. Figuring your servicing monthlyish, your machine will be down for 3 weeks.

$50 / 4 weeks = $12.50 per week.

$12.50 * 3 weeks = $37.50 in lost income due to a damaged machine.

This is enough lost cash to buy a good / well made / dependable machine like Oak, A&A, Northwestern or Beaver.

I know your view on this and in time, I'm sure you will understand mine.

Beaver Machines are the only brand I ever see on those vending carts people have in the mall.

Does anyone here have one of these?

I always look at them and wonder how they could make enough money to cover the crazy rent the owner must pay to the mall location.

Here is something else to consider: A lot of you are talking about getting the PM Supreme 300 which is about $52 and from my understanding that is a good mid-range machine.  Now on lot of sites Beavers go for $100+ dollars which clearly isn't worth it.  However, i contacted Beaver directly and got some price quotes and the Southern Beaver (which comes in a variety of nice colors as well) was quoted to me for only $60.  So wouldn't it be worth it to pay the extra $8 or so for the upgrade?  Or am i totally off base here? 

Beaver does have a square globe! Quote by Guth

I've never seen one or even a picture of one and I have a current Beaver catalogue, so if anyone has a picture of one, please post it, I'd like to see what it looks like.

I totally agree with Rob about compounding, I was keeping the math simple.

A mall is the only place I can think of where looks are more important than cost and ease of servicing and I doubt there is anyone here trying to bust into malls at this point. Our nitch is charity and small commission locations( even large commission locations like grocery stores we are muscled out of for the most part)

The comparision is not between Beaver and some cheaply made import machine(though it may be expensive). The comparision is between Beaver and Oak, A&A and Northwestern which in my opinion(and thats all it is just an opinion) are the only machines you should be looking at.

A word about triples here: There are virtually no locations in our nitch where all three products in a triple will sell well and if by chance you do find one it wont hold enough product to keep time between services realistic. ( Again just an opinion, not meant to offend anyone).  Tom

A word about triples here: There are virtually no locations in our nitch where all three products in a triple will sell well and if by chance you do find one it wont hold enough product to keep time between services realistic.

In the immortal words of Eric Cartman... "Thats what I said!"

Steve

Hmmmmmm,  now, I understand exactly what your saying, but would it not be ok to find 2 products that sell decently, and put the higher volume product in 2 of the product bins..............  I have seen triple vends have nothing but gumballs on all sides.  2 sides are assorted, while 1 side is a single flavor.  For some reason, people in this country like variety, even if they always get the same thing........ I don't know why, but if you put 1 single gumball machine up and right next to it put a triplevend with the same gumballs in the middle, the triplevend will get more business.....Or at least that's my opinion.

I have also found out that it is good to take the non performing product out of the mix after a 2 month trial and replace it with something else........Eventually, you will find something that sells, maybe not the best, but better than before.......In life, as well as vending, there's always a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

Now, Caserri, you have far more experience than me on this subject, and I value every thing you have to say,  but in my very short time in vending,  I have seen a good, ( not great) product mix.

A word about triples here: There are virtually no locations in our nitch where all three products in a triple will sell well and if by chance you do find one it wont hold enough product to keep time between services realistic.

In the immortal words of Eric Cartman... "Thats what I said!"

Steve