Advice on Stock AP Snackshop LCM3 with BA32SA Coinco Bill Validator

I came across an AP Snackshop LCM3 with BA32SA  Coinco bill validator. Looks stock to me. It is a bit of a project: needs new glass front (I will probably go with plexi), and it needs a new lock and key.

I am not familiar with AP, and have obviously never worked on this model. The front glass and the lock cylinder are easy fixes, but I would like to add a cashless option if I'm going to work on this machine. It seems like the control boards support MDB, but I just want to be sure I won't need something like an InOne kit.

Lastly, I would probably upgrade to a MARS 2502 validator. Anything I should know before I take on this project? Thanks in advance.

Some people say the LCM won't handle card readers, some say it will (including me) but I guess you have to install it first to see if it will work or not.  However, under no circumstances will the stock board report cash sales for prekitting purposes.  It can't do that.  I installed inone kits on a few because I want full reports.  If you don't care about cash reports, then it should take a card reader fine but it's not guaranteed.

Also, the LCM runs either 24v or MDB.  I don't think it does 110v.  And since a BA32SA is 24v, you have to determine if it's running off MDB or pulse.  The validator and the coin mech must both be pulse OR MDB but you can't use one pulse and one MDB.  So you need the right harness depending on what you're doing as the 2502 will also do 24v pulse or MDB just like the BA32SA.

Just look at the plug on your coin mech.  If it's a big block plug with about a dozen pins, it's not MDB and you'll need a 24v mars harness (not MDB).  If the coin mech has a 6-pin plug, you'll need a mars MDB harness instead.

P.S. when I put a new mech or validator in an LCM, I go all MDB.  Even if the coin mech is fine, even if I install an inone kit which allows you to mix MDB and pulse, I go MDB everything once a component fails because I want everything to be MDB to allow for simplicity in the long run.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:34 PM, AngryChris said:

Some people say the LCM won't handle card readers, some say it will (including me) but I guess you have to install it first to see if it will work or not.  However, under no circumstances will the stock board report cash sales for prekitting purposes.  It can't do that.  I installed inone kits on a few because I want full reports.  If you don't care about cash reports, then it should take a card reader fine but it's not guaranteed.

Also, the LCM runs either 24v or MDB.  I don't think it does 110v.  And since a BA32SA is 24v, you have to determine if it's running off MDB or pulse.  The validator and the coin mech must both be pulse OR MDB but you can't use one pulse and one MDB.  So you need the right harness depending on what you're doing as the 2502 will also do 24v pulse or MDB just like the BA32SA.

Just look at the plug on your coin mech.  If it's a big block plug with about a dozen pins, it's not MDB and you'll need a 24v mars harness (not MDB).  If the coin mech has a 6-pin plug, you'll need a mars MDB harness instead.

P.S. when I put a new mech or validator in an LCM, I go all MDB.  Even if the coin mech is fine, even if I install an inone kit which allows you to mix MDB and pulse, I go MDB everything once a component fails because I want everything to be MDB to allow for simplicity in the long run.

Thanks! Another quick question: The seller just let me know that the buttons don't register any input... Could be wiring, could be the keypad... How difficult a problem do you think it could be?

Replacing the keypad isn't insanely difficult but it's definitely not what I'd call an easy repair, particularly if you've never done it.  But... No inputs would concern me because it could be other things.  I'd give no more than $500 for a very clean LCM snack with an unresponsive keypad unless I really trusted the seller.  And I mean really clean and not banged up.

On 4/6/2022 at 5:06 PM, AngryChris said:

Replacing the keypad isn't insanely difficult but it's definitely not what I'd call an easy repair, particularly if you've never done it.  But... No inputs would concern me because it could be other things.  I'd give no more than $500 for a very clean LCM snack with an unresponsive keypad unless I really trusted the seller.  And I mean really clean and not banged up.

We'll, that settles that... 

I'm looking at another Snackshop 113 in really good shape. Not sure what model Mars validator, standard coin collector. I would need to install a cashless option, but otherwise it looks ready to go. 

I'm not familiar with these machines. Wish it had double coil options, but not a big deal. Are these machines MDB capable of would I need an InOne kit?

8 hours ago, Daves Automat said:

We'll, that settles that... 

I'm looking at another Snackshop 113 in really good shape. Not sure what model Mars validator, standard coin collector. I would need to install a cashless option, but otherwise it looks ready to go. 

I'm not familiar with these machines. Wish it had double coil options, but not a big deal. Are these machines MDB capable of would I need an InOne kit?

The 113 predates the LCMand would need a new board.  There actually were kits to make these dual spiral but expensive.  The 113 is typically a very good tanky machine but definitely needs an upgrade.  It's worth less than the LCM