Changing prices

Aaron1410

On 4/14/2022 at 8:22 PM, Aaron1410 said:

Has any one changed prices of candy to .50¢?  Just wondering with prices to buy the candy going up,  if it would be a good idea.  Thanks 

I personally have not but a local competitor of mine told me that he has changed over to 50 cents in some locations with mixed results. We didn't have much time to talk so we didn't get too in depth about the topic. I'll ask him next time we talk about location and performance specifics. I am definitely a proponent of charging more for product, especially for items like M & Ms & Reece's Pieces, but I think gumballs will not sell well at 50 cents. I would guess that in locations like bowling alleys, skating rinks or any other "captive audience" location like that you would have more success than a run of the mill retail shop where customers are just passing by after checking out. Places that have repeat customers (employees) may balk a bit at a 100% price jump without at least a little bump in product received per vend so you may want to consider moving your portion control wheel a little wider initially.

The biggest challenge for larger operators will be the cost and availability of new 50 cent coin mechs, especially in an industry that will inevitably continue to lose ground to a cashless business model. I will never change over to 50 cent coin mechs because it's just not feasible for me to do so at this point in my career but if I was younger and running a small route I would definitely consider experimenting with it.

• Like 1

Regular gumballs at .50 don't sell from what I've seen. If you put "premium" gumballs in they will sell at .50 but at a slower rate than regular dubble bubble at .25... so it's kind of a wash.

I agree with gumball guy saying if you switch to .50 give a bigger portion, for bulk candies.

So it’s account that I’ve never had candy in before.  They do have a change machine next to there game area.  So I’m gonna try doing .50¢ with a bigger portion size and see how it goes.  I’m doing Mike & Ike’s,  Reese’s Pieces and regular M&Ms.

2 hours ago, Aaron1410 said:

So it’s account that I’ve never had candy in before.  They do have a change machine next to there game area.  So I’m gonna try doing .50¢ with a bigger portion size and see how it goes.  I’m doing Mike & Ike’s,  Reese’s Pieces and regular M&Ms.

Sounds like a good location to test in (change machine & game area). Keep us posted on how you do with it. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RoadDogAmusements said:

mike and ike's is already cheap enough to give large portions for a quarter imo. it makes more sense for the chocolates.

I thought the same thing put didn’t  want to put 2 candy’s in at .50¢ and one at .25¢