Noisy Wittern 3189

ATGV

The condenser fans on these machines are common for noises. Both of my 3189’s ive had to change them.

If you can confirm the noise is the condenser fan, your best bet is to replace it with this 9w from Ryan at snack attack. It requires drilling slightly larger holes in the mount, but is not hard and its twice as robust as the original motor and half the cost.

https://snackattacknow.com/product/9-watt-condenser-fan-motor/

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tblake05 said:

The condenser fans on these machines are common for noises. Both of my 3189’s ive had to change them.

If you can confirm the noise is the condenser fan, your best bet is to replace it with this 9w from Ryan at snack attack. It requires drilling slightly larger holes in the mount, but is not hard and its twice as robust as the original motor and half the cost.

Would the best way to confirm its the condenser fan be to pull out the refrigeration unit and listen? - Sorry, just a newbie at this and want to be sure this correct.

No need to remove the refrigeration unit just yet.

need to verify the noise is the condenser fan and not the compressor itself.

Power off, reach in the back and spin the fan by hand, any roughness? Fan blade binding?

2 ways to verify the condenser fan, power on and watch in the back with a flashlight and see if the noise happens when the fan turns on. Might be tough because I think the compressor runs at the same time.

or you can disconnect the fan and power on the machine. See if you can hear the compressor start and verify the noise is gone. Don’t run it too long like this. Minute or so, or you’ll burn up the compressor.

it totally sounds like mine did when the fan motor went out but defiantly could be a compressor too.

for your sake I hope it’s the condenser fan cause it’s an easy change and you don’t even have to remove the deck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tblake05 said:

No need to remove the refrigeration unit just yet.

need to verify the noise is the condenser fan and not the compressor itself.

Power off, reach in the back and spin the fan by hand, any roughness? Fan blade binding?

2 ways to verify the condenser fan, power on and watch in the back with a flashlight and see if the noise happens when the fan turns on. Might be tough because I think the compressor runs at the same time.

or you can disconnect the fan and power on the machine. See if you can hear the compressor start and verify the noise is gone. Don’t run it too long like this. Minute or so, or you’ll burn up the compressor.

it totally sounds like mine did when the fan motor went out but defiantly could be a compressor too.

for your sake I hope it’s the condenser fan cause it’s an easy change and you don’t even have to remove the deck.

Great, thanks for this. I am going to try tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:21 PM, tblake05 said:

Question for you. The old condenser fan has three wires (blue, yellow, brown) yellow appears to be the ground. The new fan only has two wires, both black, no ground. What do you do about this on your 3189's when using the new fan?

1 hour ago, ATGV said:

Question for you. The old condenser fan has three wires (blue, yellow, brown) yellow appears to be the ground. The new fan only has two wires, both black, no ground. What do you do about this on your 3189's when using the new fan?

The new fan grounds through the body of it. Yellow not needed. Don’t worry about hooking it up.

ribbed or striped wire on the fan is neutral, connect it to blue on machine, also neutral.

smooth wire on fan is hot, connect it to brown from machine.

life is good :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tblake05 said:

The new fan grounds through the body of it. Yellow not needed. Don’t worry about hooking it up.

ribbed or striped wire on the fan is neutral, connect it to blue on machine, also neutral.

smooth wire on fan is hot, connect it to brown from machine.

life is good :)

Awesome, it works!.......motor is quite. I'm getting a vibration from the fan blade, feels just a bit wobbly. I'm thinking the fastener that came with the motor just isn’t tight enough. I'll replace it with a nut, hopefully that cuts the noise. Thanks for all of your help!

• Like 1