Newbie Logistical Questions

willclev

Hi All,

I'm brand new to this site and, like many, am looking to get into the vending machine business in my area. 

I have a few questions for which I have not seen too much discussion:

1) What do you do when there is no power outlet at the desired location (assuming the location is not owned by you)? Would you offer to hire/pay an electrician to install an outlet on the location owner's property?

2) How do you handle vending machine electrical usage and the resulting increase in the location owner's electrical bill? Is this generally an issue?

3) When installing machines outdoors, would you opt for expensive exterior-rated vending machines or is there a common method for using interior machines outdoors? 

Thank you in advance and please let me know if I can clarify any of these questions. There are many knowledgeable folks on this forum and I look forward to learning from you.

Ok so you’re excited about placing a vending machine somewhere.  That’s great.  The problem with what you’re trying to do is an electric outlet install will cost a few hundred dollars.  Some handyman on Craigslist-$400-$500.  An electrical company with vehicles and employees double or triple that.  Then you’re going to put in your machine and only make $1000.00 a year.  Not a good investment.   2.5 years later you get a call from the location to come pick up your machine….  They would care less about the install you paid for.  

Never bring up electrical usage during a potential sales visit.   I’ve probably pitched to a few hundred people over the years and I don’t think it has ever been mentioned.  Any place that warrants a vending service will already be spending a few hundred a month in electricity anyway.   If it is brought up you can explain how a vending machine will require less electricity than a refrigerator simply because it stays shut vs. people in and out of a fridge.  

For a machine outside, just get one that is outdoor rated.  Look for Dixie Narco, Royal or Vendo.   I’m assuming this is an apartment complex?   If they don’t already have an outlet and cannot provide one you shouldn’t either.  A decent property management company will have the resources to make that happen.  Us vending operators don’t.  

OP, you have some learn'n to do.  Most soda machines are outdoor rated so that's not an issue with higher cost. Over the years I had some locations ask about power usage and I just told them it would use as much as a freezer.  This because the compressor and machine aren't as well sealed or efficient as a refrigerator system.  Only if the location wanted the machine in a certain space would I tell them that they would need to supply the power there. I never took on that responsibility.  I was usually glad the decided not to add the power because after that expense they wouldn't be too happy when I pulled the machine due to poor sales.