New Operator and Already I Have Questions

Dan Wolfe

Good day and thank goodness there's a forum like this! 

I JUST came into an older Dixie-Narco pop machine which has no data plate, so I am unsure of the model number.  It's going to need some parts, I suspect and rather than guess, I was hoping that the assembled brain trust here could help me identify it.  It's likely going to need some new seals, a good recharge, and possibly a new thermostat.

I am enclosing a few pix of the vending machine. Any help identifying it is greatly appreciated.  

I'm looking forward to interacting with y'all and learning about this beast of a pop machine!

Best,

Dan

20230815_131702.jpg

20230815_131735.jpg

20230815_131749.jpg

20230815_131802.jpg

20230815_131821.jpg

That is a Dixie Narco 276 single price machine.  What seals are you referring to?  The door seal?  If so you may just have to repair yours as this machine is from the late 80's to early 90's. What symptom leads you to needing freon?

9 hours ago, AZVendor said:

That is a Dixie Narco 276 single price machine.  What seals are you referring to?  The door seal?  If so you may just have to repair yours as this machine is from the late 80's to early 90's. What symptom leads you to needing freon?

First off, thanks so much for your reply!  I figured that was the model, but since this is the first time I've ever opened up a vending machine, I wasn't sure.  'Preciate it.

The evaporator -- I think it's called -- is icing over and the compressor runs continuously.  The thermostat will turn off the compressor if turned down to the "off" position, but that's it.  It doesn't appear to be turning on and off at other positions.

When I started researching the icing, what I read was that it was either the thermostat, the seal around the door, or low refrigerant.  Inspection of the seal reveals that it's not very pliable, and sealing the door extra tight seems to have slowed the icing process a bit.  Seems as though replacing it is easy enough and the part probably isn't all that pricey assuming I can find it.

I am definitely open to whatever advice I can get.  This was given to my roommate by a relative and I was hoping to get it in good shape.  Everything works and we've been using it regularly.  It's a lot of fun.  When I noticed the compressor running constantly, I thought I'd do a deeper dive and that's when I discovered the icing on the evaporator.

Thanks again for your help!  

Enjoy the day,

Dan

4 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

Set the thermostat to 3 1/2 from off and leave it there. You probably have low freon so you need someone to recharge it.

I'll get someone smarter than me to come out and have a look at the freon.  That's way over my head.

I'll go set that now and keep an eye on it. 

Thanks much!

Dan

Also, don't overtighten your T-handle as that can cause problems with it.  Just get it good and snug.  The door seal will still be good enough as long as it's not broken or has missing sections.

9 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

Also, don't overtighten your T-handle as that can cause problems with it.  Just get it good and snug.  The door seal will still be good enough as long as it's not broken or has missing sections.

Got it! I did tighten it down pretty good, so I'll go loosen a turn or so.

I found a replacement gasket online, so I will likely order that. I can't imagine a gasket that goes back as far as this one goes will still be completely efficient. Yeah, it may work, but since I'm going to be tearing the damn thing apart, may as well replace the things that I can.

6 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

Is it for an older 276 narrow door?  If not then it won't fit.  Post the link to the part you ordered which will hopefully says what model machine it fits.  

It is for the narrow door. I matched it by part number from the book, so hopefully it'll be the right one. I'm out driving right now, but I'll post the link as soon as I get home.

I really appreciate all the help!

3 minutes ago, Dan Wolfe said:

It is for the narrow door. I matched it by part number from the book, so hopefully it'll be the right one. I'm out driving right now, but I'll post the link as soon as I get home.

I really appreciate all the help!

https://stores.vendorstech.com/dixie-narco-sp-t-e-model-inner-door-seal-gasket-for-narrow-72-machines-276e/