Dixie narco 180/105 Frankenstein, need a little help.

Tagzgaragevend

Purchased an old DN for the garage,  worked perfectly for 2 years then wouldn't get cold.  It's had a few owners before me and it looks like they all did some custom fixes.  The previous owner told me it would need a recharge every few years so I am hoping that's it.  My issue is that it's not the original compressor and the little bit of information that is on it has been painted over.  Wondering if it's asking for 8.5 ozs 20230830_151026.thumb.jpg.d772c423d439a11e9e7c271ec4ffe851.jpg

The stub off of the compressor was put on by someone that worked on it.  It was likely when the compressor was replaced.  Everything else there has been monkeyed with.  The round thing with one wire on it in the lower left is the overload and is supposed to be clipped into the bracket so it is held against the compressor.  I think what I would do is put a hard start kit on it, An RCO 410 is what you would need.  it will replace everything you see wired up in that photo.  Then you can recharge it through the stub or at lease put a low side gauge on it to see what the pressure currently is.  Yes, you need refrigeration gauges to do this.  I don't see any other port unless there is one off of the filter/drier.  As for freon, you'll need to search the model number of the compressor to see what gas it's supposed to run on.  It will either be R12 or R134a and they aren't interchangeable.

• Like 1

It has 134a written on it in black marker, so I am assuming it's been updated with that as the compressor is not original.   Thanks for the other part recommendations too.  I really didn't mess with it until now after it stopped cooling so it's hopefully going to be a fun little project.