Bevmax 3 plunger issue

msadan

My Bevmax 3 has an intermittent problem where it won't vend. The machine goes through the motions but the picker cup plunger does not fully extend, so the shelf gate will only partially open and the product will not vend. It's happens very intermittently so it hasn't been easy to troubleshoot. Plus I'm just a dumb pinball repair guy with limited vending machine experience.

At first I though that maybe I had a cable problem, since re-seating the connector at the top of the cable that runs down to the picker cup seemed to eliminate the problem, for a while. Also seemed feasible that the cable could fail from the constant flexing. First I replaced the connector at the top end of the cable - didn't fix it. Then I replaced the entire cable, still no dice. Now I'm thinking that re-seating the cable connector didn't really do anything and it was just a coincidence that the machine worked afterward. I also cleaned up and lubed the cam and plunger on the cup picker - still nothing. Now I'm thinking about replacing the picker cup as that seems to be a common failure point. I'm I on the right track? Thanks for any help!!

I have had good success replacing the picker cup when there are plunger issues. I prefer to just throw parts at a machine till it works but there are those out there that like to diagnose the exact cause. If that you I suggest downloading the repair manual and follow the trouble shooting flow chart in the back of the manual. The flow chart always ends with replace the main control board but along the way there is much to learn. Good luck. 

PS

D&S Is a good source for info
https://www.dsvendinginc.com/t-dixie-manuals.aspx

• Like 1

Try cleaning the home switch on the bottom of the picker cup. If there has been any damaged drinks that may have sprayed onto the bottom of the cup it can delay the operation of the switch. If switch is delayed it will cause the cup to reach incorrect height which will cause your issue.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 9:59 PM, msadan said:

My Bevmax 3 has an intermittent problem where it won't vend. The machine goes through the motions but the picker cup plunger does not fully extend, so the shelf gate will only partially open and the product will not vend. It's happens very intermittently so it hasn't been easy to troubleshoot. Plus I'm just a dumb pinball repair guy with limited vending machine experience.

At first I though that maybe I had a cable problem, since re-seating the connector at the top of the cable that runs down to the picker cup seemed to eliminate the problem, for a while. Also seemed feasible that the cable could fail from the constant flexing. First I replaced the connector at the top end of the cable - didn't fix it. Then I replaced the entire cable, still no dice. Now I'm thinking that re-seating the cable connector didn't really do anything and it was just a coincidence that the machine worked afterward. I also cleaned up and lubed the cam and plunger on the cup picker - still nothing. Now I'm thinking about replacing the picker cup as that seems to be a common failure point. I'm I on the right track? Thanks for any help!!

Quick update, now I'm thinking that replacing the "E-chain" cable that runs down to the picker cup did in fact fix it. The first vend after replacing the cable failed, but since then I've had zero issues. 

• 3 weeks later...