Can I leave vending machines outside?

Greetings,

I am starting a project where I sell art out of a vending machine, 'an art gallery in a box' sort of an idea.

I'm thinking about buying older snack vending machines, repainting them and then making products to put in them.

All of my target locations are outside in walkable communities, so I am wondering -- are vending machines weatherproof/resistant? If so, to what degree? I am sure there is a variety of answers to these questions, but I remember old soda machines outside at city parks when I was a kid -- I swear?

I live in a snow state -- so realistically I would only have them out in the Spring/Summer/Fall -- then store them in the winter. So the worst would be some rain.

I would welcome any specific information you can offer about vending in outdoor location and what special challenges this presents.

Thank you in advance for your time and for a nice forum to get my questions addressed!  

Best,

While there are some exceptions, snack vendors are generally not UL rated for outside.  They are not sealed against the weather so rain/snow will penetrate the case and start to cause any number of problems.  You also need to consider that your art has value and as such, is liable to be targeted for theft or vandalism so an unprotected outside placement would likely do your business more harm than good.   Just remember that the only thing between your product and a thief or vandal is a piece of tempered glass. 

• 1 month later...