HotStuff Crane W9803D4 (Coast to Coast) - Intermittent Prize Sensor issue?

Hello, 

I have a crane machine configured for play until you win and intermittently the prize sensor will not register that a prize has been won.   I originally thought it was a loose connection, and after a restart it seems fine for a while.   

After some time i'll get a call that the machine is giving away free toys until the machine is reset.

I am hoping someone on this board has seen this issue before and can tell me if its a sensor issue, or main pcb issue.  The prize sensor is 4-pin and I will attach a picture of the prize sensor/logic board.  The PCB in the screenshot is just a spare for reference

Thanks,

2024-04-01_11h25_30.png

hotstuff_pcb-W9803D4_2024-04-01_11-28-50-141.jpg

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Vendo Mike said:

Based on the sensor config, it looks like this relies on a reflector.  Is there a reflector on the surface opposite this sensor bank?  Is it clean and undamaged?  

We have about 5-8 of these machines, and to my knowledge I don't recall seeing reflective tape on any of the play until you machine mode cranes we have of this type.   We do use the tape pretty heavily for our oldschool grayhound cranes which use those shotgunshell? type honeywell sensors

I do have the tape handy and can try adding that into the mix but I am somewhat skeptical 

I will say I do remember the surface of the 'box' the sensor is in has a gloss white finish (I am trying to locate a photo)

Edited by mythosmc

If the entire sensor assembly is on one side of the bucket you'd need some sort of reflective surface in order to detect when the beam is broken.  Otherwise, you'll need transmitters on one side of the bucket and receivers on the opposite side.  

John15's suggestion sounds like an intensity adjustment.  If your sensor area is flooded with ambient light (sunlight?), it could have an negative impact on your sensor's ability to detect any change.

You could check the ambient light idea with a piece of cardboard over the outer glass.  If you block all outside light and the unit works properly, you likely have an intensity issue, if it still doesn't function, you're looking at a faulty sensor or incorrect installation of it.

2 hours ago, Vendo Mike said:

You could check the ambient light idea with a piece of cardboard over the outer glass.  If you block all outside light and the unit works properly, you likely have an intensity issue, if it still doesn't function, you're looking at a faulty sensor or incorrect installation of it.

It had crossed my mind - This machine is in a lobby with a ton of sunlight, thanks I will try this out

3 hours ago, John15 said:

On my duck crane there is a adjustment on the back of the sensor, tiny Phillips head screw driver needed to adjust. 

I did try adjusting this before we put it out on location, I could try adjusting it again, but if it is a sunlight issue i would have to catch the right time of day no?

I suppose, try what vendo Mike suggests. On my duck crane it won't detect black or dark coloured ducks, unless I adjust it very sensitive then it false triggers a winner even if no prize drops adjust it back so detects most prizes.

29 minutes ago, Vendo Mike said:

Did you attempt the adjustment while on location or just replace the board?  

I did not, but have in the past before I deployed this particular machine - I did however test quite a few times before changing the logic board last

It's usually best to handle calibration settings that are effected by environmental conditions once a unit is on location.  Generally, if a machine works in the shop and then doesn't in the field, something was shaken loose/damaged OR the environment is different than your test area. 

It's possible you simply replaced the board with one that happened to be set correctly for an area flooded with sunlight.   If the original board were bad, it should have failed when you tested it in your shop.

I'm glad it's working for you though.  That's the important thing.