Tips On Finding Locations

Hi guys. I'm gonna start scouting for locations soon, so I wanted to ask for some advice.

Mainly: What are some of the most common questions you get asked when pitching yourself to a new location? And what are the best ways to answer them?

Also, do you let the location choose the kind of machine they want? Or do you just bring what you think is best. I'm asking because I have a Dixie Nacro 501e that I just fixed up and would like to get out of my garage ASAP. I could order another machine and have it delivered to the location, but I'd prefer to place the one I have first.

If it makes any difference, the types of locations I'm gunning for at the moment are hotels and schools. Any tips or anecdotes about dealing with those locations in particular?

Thanks!

Edited by ignika98

Check your spelling or your autocorrect.  It's Dixie Narco.  You will dictate the machine you will put in because you're supposed to the the professional expert in this business.  Skip the schools and hotels.  Schools are slow accounts and hotels are nothing but vandalism and both are hard to get into due to competition.  Target blue collar locations like auto shops, tire shops, mechanical places, etc.  Know how much you need to sell your product for, what products you're prepared to offer (cans vs. bottles) and don't bring up paying a commission to them unless they bring it up.  If they do then tell them the price will be higher if you have to pay a commission.

You're smart to start with soda machines.  Don't offer snacks until you fully understand the soda side of the business.  Snacks take 5 or more machines on location to keep your stales under control so don't get into them too soon.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Check your spelling or your autocorrect.  It's Dixie Narco. 

I know. My phone likes to mess things up for me sometimes and it was very late when I made the original post so I didn't catch it.

hotels are nothing but vandalism
Target blue collar locations like auto shops, tire shops, mechanical places, etc.

Is that so? I didn't think that vandalism would be a problem at hotels, especially if the machine is placed on one of the upper floors near the rooms and not in the lobby. I'm in central Florida, so there are a lot more hotels than auto and tire shops and they're much higher traffic too. But I'll take that into consideration. It wouldn't hurt to add some blue collar spots to my list of places to pitch to.

don't bring up paying a commission to them unless they bring it up.  If they do then tell them the price will be higher if you have to pay a commission.

I figured as much. Do locations often ask about how high the prices of your items will be?

Edited by ignika98

Yes. You need to know what your prices are as that is the usual question asked.  Hotels are hotbeds for vandalism because none of the machines are monitored and the customers are transitory.