Manual and Portable Coin Counter

T BIRD

I hope I put this thread in the right place Steve.  This is a vending tool that I can see needing for locations that are receiving a commission from me.  Instead of counting all these quarters, is there something I can use which will make the counting process quick and easy at the location?

If you know of a product please post here.  Thanks.

you dont want to use a counter they are too much for bulk (too big and bulky) i have to take mine in on a cart. not to mention it makes noise and attracts attention. i love mine, but only for amusements.

for bulk commission get a scale. from what i have been told accucount makes the best for the money. i dont know a model number, i need to get one myself. if i find out i will post it.

The reason I am looking into some kind of manual coin counter is if I am at a location and they get a commission, I have to count out the quarters while there.clvending wrote:

Most banks will count your change for you at no cost.  For inventory and tracking purposes, I count my quarters after I visit each site. 

Lee

Lee..........this scale?  How does it work?  Say I have to give 20% to a location? Thanks for your help.

.pusherman wrote:

you dont want to use a counter they are too much for bulk (too big and bulky) i have to take mine in on a cart. not to mention it makes noise and attracts attention. i love mine, but only for amusements.

for bulk commission get a scale. from what i have been told accucount makes the best for the money. i dont know a model number, i need to get one myself. if i find out i will post it.

I own three of these:

Posted Image

Two that are fuctional, one for parts.  Now why I own three counters for three locations, I"ll never know, but I can count coin...I know, I know, I"ll grow again...

I'd carry the suckers right in with me to service.  I'd pull  and bag coin, then pop the sucker up on the Customer service desk, unused checkout line, Ops office or back in the kitchen on a prep table (!) and count 'em.

For charity guys that don't want the shop to know the take, it doesn't matter.  But if you're doing commissions and either rolling or receipting on location, the shop owner/Mgr. deserves to know how the machines are doing.

I personally wouldn't use a scale.  I've pulled too many "junk" coins out of machines.  pennys and dimes don't weigh as much as a quarter, but if you miss a few, they add up.  Nickles weigh nearly what a quarter does.  I can't afford that kind of mistake.

If the turnstile and friction wheel on a counter is set up right, it will either not count the coin or not allow it to go through.

I own three of these:

Posted Image

Two that are fuctional, one for parts.  Now why I own three counters for three locations, I"ll never know, but I can count coin...I know, I know, I"ll grow again...

I'd carry the suckers right in with me to service.  I'd pull  and bag coin, then pop the sucker up on the Customer service desk, unused checkout line, Ops office or back in the kitchen on a prep table (!) and count 'em.

For charity guys that don't want the shop to know the take, it doesn't matter.  But if you're doing commissions and either rolling or receipting on location, the shop owner/Mgr. deserves to know how the machines are doing.

I personally wouldn't use a scale.  I've pulled too many "junk" coins out of machines.  pennys and dimes don't weigh as much as a quarter, but if you miss a few, they add up.  Nickles weigh nearly what a quarter does.  I can't afford that kind of mistake.

If the turnstile and friction wheel on a counter is set up right, it will either not count the coin or not allow it to go through.

farmer john,

the only reason i am looking to get a scale is the fact that alot of my locations are in very questionable neighborhoods. alot of the time having people standing around watchingme count, you know how noisy they are. i wouldnt give up my counter for anything but the scale does have its place.

also if you are going in to make a $20- $50 a month stop it isnt worth taking in the counter. that is where i would see a use for a scale. but then again maybe it would be just as quick to use rolling tubes to count, that couldnt take very long.

these are all great but arent we all fogetting one thing. You never want to let people see how much you put into a bag. Reason is if an employee if the business see's that they may want to put one in and yours will be out. As long as they think its just some small change in there and they think its no big deal then your fine but start throwing around a location with 30 or more in the change box and your asking for trouble if you let people see it. Just my opinon.

Mike

these are all great but arent we all fogetting one thing. You never want to let people see how much you put into a bag. Reason is if an employee if the business see's that they may want to put one in and yours will be out. As long as they think its just some small change in there and they think its no big deal then your fine but start throwing around a location with 30 or more in the change box and your asking for trouble if you let people see it. Just my opinon.

Mike

the locations that you would use these in are already getting their part. these would be used where you have racks or amusements, not gumballs.

farmer john,

the only reason i am looking to get a scale is the fact that alot of my locations are in very questionable neighborhoods. alot of the time having people standing around watchingme count, you know how noisy they are. i wouldnt give up my counter for anything but the scale does have its place.

also if you are going in to make a $20- $50 a month stop it isnt worth taking in the counter. that is where i would see a use for a scale. but then again maybe it would be just as quick to use rolling tubes to count, that couldnt take very long.

Heh Heh...Ever been to downtown Detroit?  My previous employer had Family Squalor as an account and that company will put a store in a crack house if it isn't burned out.

You walk in, toss it on the counter like you own the place and do your business.  In 2 years, never had an issue.

But of course, my Hells Angels colors open a lot of doors, not available to many vendors...;)

Heh Heh...Ever been to downtown Detroit?  My previous employer had Family Squalor as an account and that company will put a store in a crack house if it isn't burned out.

You walk in, toss it on the counter like you own the place and do your business.  In 2 years, never had an issue.

But of course, my Hells Angels colors open a lot of doors, not available to many vendors...;)

probably similar to south dallas. 

Yeah but if I have 30-40 dollars in quarters at a location, I am not sure if I want to count all of that out.  Wouldnt a scale or manual counter be useful?showme vending wrote:

Mike

the locations that you would use these in are already getting their part. these would be used where you have racks or amusements, not gumballs.

Would it be possible to count your take at home, prepare a tally sheet and pay the location by check or with cash the next time you go in?

It would eliminate the counting time at the site, and reduce some of your security concerns. For existing accounts perhaps you could explain the change to the owner and hopefully a lot of them would be alright with it. With new accounts set it up that way if possible, so they don't expect to be paid right away.

These are just my random thoughts since I don't run bulk machines. I am by no means an expert on how you have to pay the locations.

Would it be possible to count your take at home, prepare a tally sheet and pay the location by check or with cash the next time you go in?

It would eliminate the counting time at the site, and reduce some of your security concerns. For existing accounts perhaps you could explain the change to the owner and hopefully a lot of them would be alright with it. With new accounts set it up that way if possible, so they don't expect to be paid right away.

These are just my random thoughts since I don't run bulk machines. I am by no means an expert on how you have to pay the locations.

Then the question arrises of honesty.  If the owner/mgr sees you counting, there's a sense of confidence that you're reporting his cut accurately.  It builds trust, it builds relationships.

(In a previous life) The majority of my commissions were paid from corporate.  You emptied the machines, counted revenues per rack (up to 10 in some of my larger Kmarts and Krogers) recorded the counts on a route sheet, signed off on it and had either a Mgr. or CSR sign off and they received a copy.

It's all about integrity and honesty.  I know that most of us in here do charity and the thought of counting 30-40 dollars in house seems foreign.  But when it comes to a business getting something for your labors, they want to know what's going on.

Besides, the scale is faster. i've been wanting to get a manual coin counter for home. I did find a nice one that sorts, counts and rolls coin made by Glory. It was around $20k.

GLORY WR-200

I have a Glory CN12 that I bought used and its a great counter , 100% accurate. before that I was using a Qtech scale which I thought was accurate but proved to be + or -  .75c at   $300.

To count out comissions out on location a scale is probably ok, but if you're bagging and taking money to the bank , then I think you need something to physically count the quarters.  Tom

I'm surely not representative of all companies, but I had a 3rd party coke-partner running two soda machines at my apartment complex, and a company out of Arizona (a state away) running washers and dryers in the laundromat.  For the soda, I got a quarterly check and report.  For the laundry, a monthly check and report.

Recently I took a driver's improvement course, and a gentleman who was a GM for a local chain of restaurants (about 10 in the area) was in the class with me.  I had been in his restaurants checking out their ending situation, and the two stores I checked had racks in them.  I talked with him for a while, and the vending company they use out of Denver just sends them accounting and a single check once a month.  They don't do any counting/signing in the store.  Although that would probably be preferable, from the vendor's point of view, with employees.

-Lucero

Farmer_John wrote:

Then the question arrises of honesty.  If the owner/mgr sees you counting, there's a sense of confidence that you're reporting his cut accurately.  It builds trust, it builds relationships.

(In a previous life) The majority of my commissions were paid from corporate.  You emptied the machines, counted revenues per rack (up to 10 in some of my larger Kmarts and Krogers) recorded the counts on a route sheet, signed off on it and had either a Mgr. or CSR sign off and they received a copy.

It's all about integrity and honesty.  I know that most of us in here do charity and the thought of counting 30-40 dollars in house seems foreign.  But when it comes to a business getting something for your labors, they want to know what's going on.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to invest in one of these machines soon.it takes a while to count all those quarters.I dont want many people seeing how much money comes out of these machines.

time is money and this machine would certainly save some.

is klop the best brand?does staples sell anything worth buying?

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to get a klopp.they seem to be the most popular.it is also what the only big time vending and amusement guy in my area uses.I`d see him with it when he would empty out the video game he used to have at my store.

this guy has a monopoly going on down here,if I had more time I`d do my best to give this guy a run for his money.

antonio