Federal Calorie Display for Vending Machines!

Angus

Kevin, I understand you think this won't be a big deal and we all should just calm down. When will it be a big deal  though. After they make us put these labels on or any other label they want just because they vote on it and maybe another tax or two. The issues you brought up are very important such as Iraq, Afghanistan, and all that but we should be concerned for our businesses too.  Government officials should be contact by their constituents when we disagree with a proposal, not after it's passed.I think the question  should be how much involvement do we want or government having in our lives, trying to make a living. This goes for Dems or the GOP, they say they are for the small business man and really all the regulations they pass are just slowly killing businesses, just my 2 cents

JB, it is a question of *perspective*. I'm not advocating that people don't talk to their elected officials if they disagree with something - no matter how small or large it may be. I am "disappointed" at the way some of the posts attempt to put fear into vendors here.

The bottom line is that *all* businesses are regulated. Yes, this *may* be one more regulation. But as far as regulations go, it is minor. Should people be aware of it? Yes. Should people express their opinion if they disagree with it (here on this forum and to elected officials)? Yes. Should people imply this will cause hardship and grief to vendors? No.

And small businesses are anything but being killed. I own 3 small businesses - 2 LLCs and an S-Corp. Just like with personal taxes, there are some laws passed that are "bad" and some that are "good". But it isn't the end of the world when a "bad" one is passed.

Again, my main point is one of perspective. This rule, if passed, just isn't that big of a deal. It is a simple *label*. Not a tax. Not a price hike. A *label*.

Kevin

Kevin, You've made your point very clear, no big deal to you. I on the other hand want less government involvement in my business affairs, period. I agree the labels themselves are not a big hardship on anyone but when does it end with them, never. We'll just have to agree to disagree :). Have a good night, Jim

OK, but making you pay taxes. Or making you register (in some places). Or doing any of the other things you need to do to legally run a business *isn't* too much?

Would you like *zero* government involvemnt in everything? Or just in vending?

And, that still doesn't explain the "where does it end" statement. I can accept that you feel labeling the product is "bad", or "too much gov.", but how does that lead to "it never will end"?

Kevin

OK, well, way off the original topic :) The post is about Fed requirements for calorie labels. This may or may not happen. I'll shut up about the political stuff. Members here can draw their own conclusions about what to do or not to do :)

Kevin

Kevin I am happy to agree with you on Federal Laws.  Some go over board but for small business they have been very positive over the past 40 years.  My business benefited so much with small business low interest loans, job creation loans and tax credits, tax deductions and much more over my 25 years in business.  I have to scratch my head when small business owners complain.  Maybe they don't realize what is available to them.  Just check out the SBA.  Lots of great stuff for you. 

I can tell you that one of the biggest reasons we decided to retire was the ever increasing cost of health insurance for our employees.  It was the number one biggest expense on our books and we had to carry it to keep our staff.  If we didn't have it, they went to work with a competitor that had insurance.  Our plan had the employee paying a portion and our company paid a portion.  It averaged $700 per employee each month as our share for 23 full time staff. Our insurance company at the time was Starmark.  If we had been given the opportunity to purchase some type of Public Option or into a Nationwide Plan, we would have jumped on it.

And of course there is a win win in politics.  We live in the greatest country in the world. 

But of course there are a lot of issues that effect business.  You just need to be vocal and involved on those issues that effect you.  I am amazed at all of the myths out there about some topics.  How can the average person make a sound decision with all of the misinformation. 

Blue Moose

I dont think the labels are going to be as big of deal as its being made out to be. if big companies can get away with it so can I. if they want nutritional content, I will need ONE label per machine. this label will say "nutritional information available at  www.jpvendco.com/congressblows"

thats how McD's and BK do it, and so will I.

I promised myself I wasn't going to get involved in this one but... ;)

I don't want to over simplify things or take sides here but the thing I'm struggling with is this...

The products we buy already have nutritional info printed on them. Why would it be so difficult to cut that out and slap it on your machine at the next service?

There wasn't this much discontent when we were required to obtain Certs of Conformity on our toys so why is adding a label any different?

Hey Steve, thanks for joining in :). I already gave my 2 cents about the label probably to much. Everybody knows by now were I stand on our politicians(both parties). As far as this proposed label, you and Kevin are right, it will be very easy and cheap to put one on, no big deal.

I saw a new device that you can place on the corner of your snack vendor, it has all of the nutritional infomation in it on a chip.  If someone wants to see the information they push in the column code and it will be put it up on the screen.  Each manufacturer has to supply all of the information for the chip.  So it will probably be easy to do and the actual work will fall on the candy mfg companies.

I also saw a sticker that someone printed up for their machines that read, "Anything I am selling in this machine has absolutely no nutritional value, enjoy." 

Again I saw it in a VEII ad.

Blue Moose

I got an email from NAMA today asking for everyone's help with this issue.  Here is the copy.

Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 11:31 AM

To: Ned Monroe

Cc: Rich Geerdes; Dan Mathews; Pam Gilbert; Mary Lou Monaghan; Sandy Larson; Deborah Lara; Brian Allen; Kim Radulski; Jo Bradshaw

Subject: Calorie Disclosure Conference Call and Action Alert from NAMA

Dear NAMA Members and Leadership,

As you know, language requiring calorie disclosure in vending is included in healthcare reform legislation currently being debated in the U.S. Senate. T

o provide you with a federal legislative update on calorie disclosure in vending, we are holding a conference call this Friday, December 11, from noon until 12:30 PM EASTERN.  We will review the current status, discuss our lobbying efforts and answer any questions related to this bill.

To join the call, please dial 1-800-944-8766.  At the prompt, please use the access code 73701#.

In addition, NAMA continues to have an Action Alert on this issue. Please visit our Take Action center on the www.NAMAVoice.com web site where you can email your United States Senators on this issue. 

Will you please help us impact calorie disclosure in vending by taking action at the above web site, and by joining our legislative update conference call this Friday?

Ned Monroe

Sr. VP of Government Affairs

National Automatic Merchandising Association (NAMA)

449-B Carlisle Drive

Herndon, VA  20170

703-435-1210 (O)

703-435-6389 (Fax)

nmonroe@vending.org

www.vending.org

Thanks for posting that web site www.namavoice.com  It has a place on it to "Take Action" where you can send an email to your U.S. Senator. I did it, and it was very easy. You can even modify their sample letter, to write whatever you want.

This labeling might be a small issue for some, but what if you have several glass front snack machines.  You'd have to label all 40 spirals with the calorie of the snacks. And you better not mix snacks with different calories in that one spiral.

You are right.  Hopefully we will be allowed to post one "menu" on the machine that has the calorie for every item that might be stocked. That could be an easy and quick solution. An excel spreadsheat type of sign would also be an easy way for our customers to compare all our snacks and drinks. Let's hope this is what the DC regulators decide when they write the rules.

Of if an operator has $, they could invest in those new digital and cashless systems. I'd

bet those will have all the calorie information.