Federal Calorie Display for Vending Machines!

Angus

It looks like Congress is about to require us to display calorie amounts on our machines.  Here's what's in the healthcare reform bill.  In the 1,990 page bill is one sentence which will require calorie disclosure in vending machines. 

‘‘(viii) VENDING MACHINES.—In the case of an article of food sold from a vending machine that—

‘‘(I) does not permit a prospective purchaser to examine the Nutrition Facts Panel before purchasing the article or does not otherwise provide visible nutrition information at the point of purchase; and

‘‘(II) is operated by a person who is engaged in the business of owning or operating 20 or more vending machines, the vending machine operator shall provide a sign in close proximity to each article of food or the selection button that includes a clear and conspicuous statement disclosing the number of calories contained in the article.”

NAMA is fighting for us on this new regulation, but heads up, looks like we are about to get hit with a new federal regulation.  I'm writing my congressman.

Angus, I see this is your first post here, so I'm not sure if you are trolling or not. But I'll assume you are serious.

First, there is no healthcare bill yet. There are many versions, but no final version yet.

Second, the way this is worded, it doesn't even make sense. There is no distinction between bulk and full line.

Third, I've never seen a nutrional disclosure where *only* the calories need to be shown.

My guess is that this is a fake. I would ask you for a link to the "bill" with a page number where this is.

Kevin

I've done a little searching. Virtually all of the links seem to come from Politoco (or sites that copied verbatim the text there).

I'm not sure this is anything *at all* to worry about. First, it will most likely not affect bulk vendors. Second, it is simply a sign w/calorie counts for items that already don't have calorie counts. Most food in a full line machine has a nutritional label.

Kevin

Yes, yesterday was my first post. So hello. 

The calorie listing for restaurants has been talked about for a few years, and it looks like vending is wrapped up in this move. 

The vending language is in the healthcare bill introduced last week by Speaker Pelosi.  It's called the Affordable Healthcare For America Act, HR 3962.  Vending calorie disclosure is in Section 2572. Here's a link to the House Committee where the bill is posted.  http://energycommerce.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1687&catid=156&Itemid=55

Sorry for spreading bad news, but the healthcare bill is alive we should be involved.

I guess my point is that there are several bills right now - no final one.

Also, this really isn't a big deal - it is actually pretty simple to implement.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but from both of your posts it seems like you are trying to stir something up. Seriously, a calorie count on machines would probably take 90% of the vendors here 1-2 days to implement. And after it was done, nothing else needs to be done.

Still not sure if it would apply to bulk, which would eliminate a lot of people. Also not sure if it would apply to full line where the nutritional info was already on what was being sold.

Bottom line, even in a worst case scenario I don't think this is the "doom and gloom" you are making it out to be. And most likely it will be something that doesn't even affect the majority of our members.

Kevin

Here is an interesting article from the Vending Times regarding this issue:  http://www.vendingtimes.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=EB79A487112B48A296B38C81345C8C7F&nm=Vending+Features&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=68F464E8E9CB42D79517934A61D458D7

I'm getting tired of government sticking their nose in everything and anything.  If people need nutrition labels to tell them that candy is all sugar and has calories in it what is this country coming to?

"The government that governs best governs least."  Thomas Paine

Well I'm not sure how I feel about this whole thing.  If you asked me 3 years ago about this, I would have said no way.  If anyone is familiar with restaurants in New York City, they must put calorie infomation on the menu board.  When you see it for the first time - it is odd, but it does help with making informed decisions.

I have struggled with weight all my life.  I am determined to teach my (now 6 yr old) son to think before he puts things in his mouth.  Teach him basic of being healthy. 

From a business prospective, it is not fun to deal with - but maybe there is a good payback.

I don't want this to turn into a political argument...if it does it should be moved to the break room.

From a *regulatory* perspective, this really isn't that big of a deal and should not take a lot of time for anyone who does have to implement it.

Kevin

My guess is that the candy companies would come out with some type of labeling we all could use.  However, it would have to be based on a single piece of candy since different vendors vend different quantities.   Then the customer would have to multiply the calorie count per piece times the actual number of pieces he actually received!  Who would actually enforce this if it became law??  Would it apply to bulk vendors??  This will be as effective as the toy ingredients ban last year.  How many of you have received calls on compliance from the government or the gumball police?  States can not even balance their budgets and provide basic services, let alone police bulk vending machines!

I wish every politician and government employee would work in the private sector and own their own business for a few months just to see what we have to go through.  Of course they would have to give up their job security, health insurance, pension plan, union protection, cushy job duties and unaccountability for a bottom line (profit) - all of course provided by us, the tax payers which they in turn will then promptly screw us.  

Jax

• 2 weeks later...

I'm generally very careful in vetting my sources, but I couldn't find anything wrong with this article.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/09/vending-industry-concerned-requirement-label-calories-snack-food/

Suggests more stupid growth killing legislation packed into the health care reform bill. I actually had high hopes for it, I'm a person who does not have health insurance and will not afford it. I take good care of myself and would be bundled with people that do not, I'd rather not share in the cost structure. I'm really dreading this bill because it seems to have reached a point where it will be passed regardless of any stupid rider attached to it. So, how bout those calorie requirements? I'm thinking for bulk we make a small sign (2x3 or smaller) that contains the amount of calories per snack for each of our commonly vended foods in whatever denomination we feel appropriate (per piece seems sufficient to keep the numbers small) and just stick one tag in the least unattractive place on each machine. Yes, Tom Harkin is from Iowa, and no he does not respond to my calls or e-mails suggesting ways for him to be more responsible with his position.

Getting off topic, but I recommend getting getting catastrophic care insurance.  (Also known as high deductible health insurance.)  Many people make the mistake of thinking that health insurance is health care, but it is simply a financial instrument.

Most of the expense for insurance is in the minor, usual costs.  And if you only have yourself covered for emergencies, that can actually save you a lot of money, and protect you if you ever have a serious illness.

It doesn't hurt to build up an emergency fund either.

• 2 weeks later...

Just was wondering if anyone else saw an article today in the news regarding the Health care Bill that our government is proposing. I read that buried deep in the bill there are regulations that would require most chain restaurants and many vending machines to post calorie counts for their products. Not sure how far they could take this but it possibly could include full line machines and maybe even bulk machines. Just thought I would post this so those who are interested could look into it further. Jim   

Mage, how much does catastrophic care coverage usually cost? My wife has insurance forced on her by the school that costs around 120$ a month and covers absolutely nothing. The plan caps the company's liability at about 10,000$ worse case scenario for them, so if something terrible happened it would not cover us. It also does not cover anything small, so it seems to me to be a complete failure of a plan regulated onto the student body as a profit engine since in 20,000 students only 5 or 6 would be likely to come out ahead for having the insurance.

My wife gets her insurance through her employer, so I have not priced catastrophic insurance myself.  Although because of the flexibility of the plans, I have attempted to adjust our insurance to be more similar to the catastrophic care insurance.

Anyway, last I knew, it was about a fifth the cost of regular health insurance.  Those small doctor visits actually cost the insurance companies a lot of money, simple because of all the paperwork involved.

Where my wife works, we have had some flexibility in the past few years, and have saved a lot of money as a result.  Right now we are annoyed since some of that flexibility has been removed.  But we had our insurance with a $2,000 deductible, and $2,000 max out of pocket per year, per person.  We both actually hit it this year, but due to the number of meds my wife is on, we were guaranteed to hit it no matter what.  But once we hit the deductible, all the meds were free.  ( Emphasis on were.)  As a result we are currently paying just over $13 every 2 weeks.  (Her employer is paying for 80% of the premium.)

People seriously need to do math when deciding what they want in their insurance.  For example the new insurance we had to sign up for, for next year has a $7.70 difference every 2 weeks if we want to include the first $100 per person (2 people) covered.  The math shows it actually costs 20¢ more per year.  Not a big difference, so basically you are paying a few cents for a little convenience, at least until the fact that the deductible is pushed up by that $100 per person is taken into account.  Effectively we would pay an extra 20¢ a year for the benefit of possibly (and in my wife's case definitely,) paying an extra $80 per person if we hit the deductible.  (Who thought of this, Vendstar?)

I wanted to kick off a discussion and get feedback from alot of people. Has Everyone seen or heard about the new health care bill going thru congress. One part of the bill will require anyone with more than 20 (twenty) machines will be required to display the nutritional information for each and every item in the machine, either at or near the machine.  ( I wish these namby pambies would quit trying to take care of me).

Anyway now everyone will have an excuse that they weight 400 lbs. Its must have been the vending machines fault.

The machine wrestled me to the ground and made me eat that snickers

The article I read said that it will take two years to implement the new rules.

Any Thoughts

This bill will cost all of us more money if passed. They are proposing a nutrition label requirement on all products for vending companies owning more than 20 vending machines. This includes the candy and gumball machines.

Here's the link to a article posted in November. It's late for this one because it already passed through Congress.

http://www.labelandnarrowweb.com/articles/2009/11/online-exclusive-vending-machines-looking-at-big-l

This is the latest from NAMA.

http://www.vending.org/pdf/NAMA_December_4_2009_Leg_Alert.pdf

Here's a link for all the Senators around the country. Call your's today and let them know you don't want that passed.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

How's that hope and change working out for you?  :angry:

Craig, and everyone else. I really think this is much ado about *nothing*.

First, exactly *zero* bills have passed *Congress*. One bill has passed the house, and another the senate. These bills need to be reconciled and then signed into law.

Second, we already label our machines. We label them with something that says "M&Ms" or whatever. How much of an effort will it be to put a new label on that lists the nutritional content? I'm sure labels will be up here in the member section *if they are even needed* within a month or so.

Everyone should just step back and relax.

Also, people should understand that *Congress* and not the *President* make the laws. This has nothing to do with "hope and change". Obama wanted a health care plan. It was Congress that added the vending language. If you really care that much about it, find out the specific senator, or committee that added that language.

Kevin

Kevin

Once it's passed, it's too late to change it. That's why we have to stand up and speak out now. I'm tired of Congress and the Senate ramming things down our throat.

All I'm saying is don't be naive and think it's nothing to worry about. Sitting back and relaxing doesn't cut it for me. I learned a long time ago that if you ignor things, it will always come back and bite you in the a$$.

It doesn't hurt to call your Senator to express your feelings about certain issues. That's the only way they will know what the public is concerned about. They work for us "We The People". We don't work for them!

Craig, I understand. I'm just trying to put a little perspective into things. There seems to be some concern that this will cost a lot of $ and time. For some, maybe. But for 90+% of the members here I just don't see that. It just really isn't something to be worried about.

Be worried about the healthcare bill itself. Whether you are for it or against it, there is much more there to be upset about. Be worried about Iraq, Iran, N. Korea, Afghanistan. Be worried about rising crime and drug rates. Be worried that Tiger Woods having an affair(s) is dominating our news. Be worried about declining education and the ignoring of science in our country. Be worried that things have progressed to the point where a school shooting is no long big news.

These, and many other things are good topics to talk to your elected officials about. Labeling vending machines just isn't.

Seriously, what do you think this will cost *you* to implement. Keeping in mind that your machines are *already* labeled - you'll just have to add some extra info.

That is what I'm bothered by. People are posting here saying how "bad" this is, but no one is posting *specifics* for what it will mean for vendors like you and me. I'm willing to bet not much - but I'm also open to being proved wrong. I'm just saying let's get some facts before becomming alarmed.

Kevin

I understand where you are coming from, Kevin. Personally, I always contact my elected official that serves me on the very topics you posted. I know for a fact that there isn't too many of us that do because they don't want to be bothered. That's when issues, no matter how irrelevant they are, becomes much bigger issues.

In answer to your question about how much will it cost vendors like you and me, it all depends how many machines you have placed and how big you want to expand. I can remember when everyone was up in arms about the PMMs jumping 2 dollars. If you have 10 triples placed, that's an extra 30 labels you have to buy. It's another unexpected cost to your revenue.

I personally have an opportunity to prosper from this amendment with my vending label business. Do I feel happy about it? No Way! This government wants to stick their hands in everyones pocket and drain it dry. That's why it needs to be stopped now. This is just one of many issues we need to speak out about.

Craig, you say that is another 30 labels to buy. However, you can print the labels here for free. Or, even if you do buy them, it is just a few dollars.

Look, you seem to have thought through your position on this very well and I respect that. However, when this thread was started, and the posts others have made, seem to want to instill fear into the vendors.

Your point about PMMs was a good one. And those going up $2/bag will *definitely* cost more than these labels will cost - *if* they are even needed.

To be honest, even the economy hurts us more than anything else. Many of my machines are in restaurants/employee breakrooms. Less help and the help that is there has less $. This all equals less $ coming to me :)

I simply don't see the labels being that big of a deal. If someone can show me how the average vendor will lose 10% of their income...ok...let's panic :) But we are really talking about a very small expense - most likely cost of ink and paper.

Or, to look at it another way, those in certain states that pay $500-$800 for an LLC as opposed to $125 have already paid far more than this labeling thing will cost.

I just want some perspective on the issue. It really is a minor thing.

Kevin