CLEAN AND SANITIZE A BULK MACHINE QUESTION

Vendalo

HI EVERY BODY, FIRST TIME HERE,  I NEED YOUR HELP, I BOUGHT A MACHINE ON EBAY, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAN IT AND WHAT KIND OF CLEANER TO USE FOR OUT PART, AND FOR THE INSIDE PART OF THE CANDY COMPARTMENT ASWELL (SANITIZE) TO PREVENT CANDY CONTAMINATION.

THANKS FOR ALL.         VENDALO.

Greetings Vendalo and welcome to VENDiscuss!

Your best bet is to completely disassemble the machine and run the parts through your dishwasher if available. You can also hand wash each piece if you dont have a dishwasher available. I usually do this at each product change just to keep from cross contaminating the product.

As far as general outside cleaning, Just wipe the unit down with a damp cloth. Make sure your cloth is not too wet so you wont get moisture into any keyholes. You obviously want to wash from the top down so you're not bringing dirt up from the base.

Make it a point to at least wipe down each machine when you service it whether it needs it or not. Your potential customers are more likely to purchase from your machine if they witness you making an effort to keep it clean. It also looks good if the location owner sees you cleaning it. It lets him know that you respect his establishment.

Thanks for the question and please ask anything here. We are just getting this site underway and your participation is appreciated.

Steve

HI EVERY ONE:

STEVE, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, I ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE EXPERIENCE AND THANKS AGAIN FOR THIS SPACE.

HI TO KYLE AND ROB, ROB I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR BLOG SINCE YOU STARTED IT.

THANKS FOR ALL.   VENDALO

• 3 months later...

If you have a friend who has access to a commercial dishwasher it works great and guranteed to be sanitized. but be fore warned do not out in any white metal parts as they will be eaten by the mild acid soap used in commercial dishwashers. two min sure beats 45 min.

grumpy

• 4 months later...

Casseri and Antoniocinisi when you put your machines in the dishwasher do you use dish washing soap also do you put the coin mechanics in there as well? And if you do wash the coin mechanics do you oil them with anything after?

Muchas Gracias, Brannon 

Grumpy do you put everything including the coin mechs(thing you put your quater in and turn) in the dishwasher?

Does the inside of the quater turner thingy touch the food? If it doesnt can you put oil/lubricant in there such as WD40? Im a little adverse to the idea of vasoline since it is so sticky.

Brannon

PS. Whats the correct name for the quarter turner mechanism?

I use a commercial dishwasher, 2 mins it done, really hot water evaporates off. Vaseline is sticky and that is why you use it, it will stay on the parts for a long time protecting them from wear. But you use it sparingly a small dab will do you, use a solder brush they are cheap and it will allow you to spread it thinly on the parts that need the lubrication.

Grumpy

Brannon wrote:

Grumpy do you put everything including the coin mechs(thing you put your quater in and turn) in the dishwasher?

Does the inside of the quater turner thingy touch the food? If it doesnt can you put oil/lubricant in there such as WD40? Im a little adverse to the idea of vasoline since it is so sticky.

Brannon

PS. Whats the correct name for the quarter turner mechanism?

Wow, This thread is a blast from the past! One of our first ones.

Brannon - Personally, I do not put the mechs in the dishwasher. Wiping them down with a clorox wipe is sufficient.

As for soap, yes I use dish detergent. If its good enough for me and my family to eat off dishes washed with it, it's good enough for customers to eat candy from equipment washed with it.

Steve

Sorry Steve

I will have to disagree with you on this one. Wiping a candy or gumball coin mech with a clorox wipe may be sufficient, but not with a nut product. The mechs get caked in nut dust, and that could lead to a potential cross contamination situation. Clorox wipes are supposed to be followed with a pottable water rinse when used in food areas. (Kind of defeats the purpose eh!) As for soap and water good enough for your family, well they are exposed to only a few contacts from different people, where as a vending machine may see thousands of different contacts from unknown people and all of there germs... If vending was controlled in your area by a health board I'm sure they would expect the same from you as they do from restraunts. (wash at a certain temp and rinsed at a certain temp)

Sorry if this seems like a rant but cross contamination is a pet peeve and that is why I do everthing I can to prevent it. It's not pretty watching someone in a severve allergic reaction, as you are rushing them to emerge.

Grumpy

Mother was allergic to shell fish and wife is allergic to mosqitos (it's why I live in the bush, looking to collect ;))

By the way a capful or two of javex in a sink of water can be used as a sanitzer if you are washing by hand, just let the parts soak for a few minutes, and air dry not towel dried.

caserri wrote:

Wow, This thread is a blast from the past! One of our first ones.

Brannon - Personally, I do not put the mechs in the dishwasher. Wiping them down with a clorox wipe is sufficient.

As for soap, yes I use dish detergent. If its good enough for me and my family to eat off dishes washed with it, it's good enough for customers to eat candy from equipment washed with it.

Steve

Points well taken Grumpy.

I do not vend nuts anymore but when I did, they were vended from exclusive machines. There was something about the "nut dust" that really bothered me! :D

As for the washing, understand I'm speaking of detergent in a washing machine, not hand washing. My oil fired furnace is set well above the health departments requirement of 180 degrees for safe dish washing. In addition, my washer, and i think most on the market today are equipped with an internal heater to boost the effectiveness of the germ killing hot water to well over 180. 

The wipes I use are food grade wipes and are used exclusively on the exterior of the mech. They kill 99.9% of common germs. What of the uncommon germs? Well those are used for "immunity boosters!" :D I'm not sure if they need to be rinsed but I don't believe they do. The wipes have the same ingredients as does that Purell hand sanitizer.

Steve