Hello from Historic Charleston S.C.

charlestonhunter

Hello All!  Just wanted to introduce myself to the board. Some great reading material here and advice. I appreciate any comments and thread links for people who are new to the business. I'm gonna be starting off slow even though i have money to invest; one and then five at a time until i get the hang of it. So in closing its great to be here, im happy there is a forum dedicated to making my mistakes for me  ;D

Hello and welcome to the forum.  Going slow is a great way to start out.  When mistakes are made with only a few machines, it is quicker, easier, and cheaper to deal with, and learn then if you say bought a route with 100 machines.  Also the financial risk is so much lower.

Then once you know what your doing, and know you enjoy the business enough to actually do it, then growing pains should be less.

I just hit a quarter of a year myself, and obviously am still learning.  I found out the 93¢ notebook might not last 93 days.  Nobody under the age of 35 even knows what Boston Baked Beans are.  Google maps is your friend.  Generally only one type of M&M sells in a machine, and it is usually the peanut ones.  And it is actually possible to mistakenly set a machine the opposite of what you want it set at, resulting in selling $1.50 worth of candy for 25¢.  

Good luck.  Most of what you need to know is here.

• 1 month later...

Google maps is your friend

I would second that Mage. Although I use a GPS based program which links to Google Maps, I find that using the internet based map as a backup is reassuring. I also use the map in attempting to sell my routes(everything is always for sale here in CR). I would not normally post a link to my locations but I doubt anyone would really be a threat on this forumn.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=104344921120757526127.000470a345bdaef84fafe&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=9.978995,-84.247971&spn=0.309049,0.614548&z=11

It won't be available for more than a few days, so email me for an update.http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=104344921120757526127.000470a345bdaef84fafe&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=9.978995,-84.247971&spn=0.309049,0.614548&z=11

I hate to say it, but I think this person is gone.  Signed up on Jan 25, and last log in was Feb 7.  Only here 10 days.

I don't think this has been posted here recently, but in addition to Google maps is the TPS solver website:

http://www.gebweb.net/optimap/

I first learned of it here, and it does at least give a good idea of what might be the quickest way to do a route.

Vend-Trak has connected with this site, but I found a little glitch, and it seems to be the optimap site, not Vend-Trak.  But when it sorts the locations for the fastest trip, some of the addresses are associated with the wrong location.

Still works though.

I did find another route planner that takes longer to figure the route, but it gives more then one result.  In fact it gave 20 possible routes to chose from.  Then you have the choice of printing out the map, the directions, or both.

http://www.drivingrouteplanner.com

One thing I liked about this website was after putting in the start address, I was able to put in all my stops on one page, or input them one at a time.  I now have a saved list of addresses as a word document, (okay, an Open Office text document,) so I can just cut and paste all at once.  If my route changes, I can simply add or subtract from that text page before cutting and pasting, and pulling up a new route.

I decided that while the fastest route made sense, I thought a different route made more sense, and regardless of what the computer said, I think will be faster, so I chose to print out that route, in addition a route that takes me in the opposite direction.

• 3 weeks later...