Calorie Disclosure In Vending Passes Congress

Angus

I know we wrote about this issue a lot last year, but here is an update on Calorie Disclosure in vending.  Please take a look at the other thread, if folks want to see previous comments.

Late Sunday evening, Congress passed healthcare reform legislation.  This bill includes language which requires calorie disclosure for food and beverages sold in vending machines.

If someone owns or operates 20 or more vending machines, and the calories are not available prior to purchase, then "the vending machine operator shall provide a sign in close proximity to each article of food or the selection button that includes a clear and conspicuous statement disclosing the number of calories contained in the article". It doesn't exempt bulk vendors.

President Obama signed the law this morning. 

Over the next year, the Food and Drug Administration will write regulations on how we should label our machines or snacks.  They have a year to draft rules, but it will probably take longer to be finalized.  Then maybe a little longer to give folks a chance to comply.

NAMA has been working on this, and will be a help as FDA starts to write the rules.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I make these labels, and sell them <a href="http://shop.ebay.com/buyingtoselling/m.html">on eBay</a>  and at <a href="http://www.bestbulkvending.net">my Vendio web store.</a>.  I am proud to say that I am the first in the vending industry to offer these labels, even before sweetstop.  Not only can I make these labels for any product, I can make them for any weight of  vended product.  I don't have as many flavors as sweetstop offers, but as I obtain high quality original graphics, I add them to my product offering.  My labels are designed at 2400dpi and printed at 600dpi.  The low resolution graphics in the plus section are mostly 72dpi screen resolution graphics, not up to my standards.  Some vendors have sent me their original card graphics for custom designs, if I don't happen to offer it, and I design their label for them from that.

I also design custom labels.  I recently completed an order for a vendor who sells seven different nut products they sourced from the Garvey Candy Company.  Their products did not come with labels.  They provided me with the original Nutrition Facts, obtained from the manufacturer, and I calculated them and designed custom graphics for their labels to include Nutrition Facts.

I have devised a method for accurately calculating the Nutrition Facts for any weight of bulk vended product.  Currently I offer them in three standard vending weights: 1/2 ounce, 3/4 ounce, and one ounce.  I can accurately calculate the Nutrition Facts for any weight of vended product, and offer these custom labels in my listings.

For those who are interested in such details, I can also (and I do on my own machines) include the piece count on the Nutrition Facts label.  See my <a href="http://www.bestbulkvending.net/about">About Us</a>  page for a high resolution detailed sample.

Bender, these look very nice. I think it's also good for our customers to see the entire Nutritional Facts Panel.

I've seen that some manufacturers are printing calories on the front of the package.  When the federal government finalizes the labeling requirements, I'll bet more will do the same. So perhaps we will ultimately be able to get labels from the manufacturers, or for full-line vending, the information will be printed on the front of the package.

• 7 months later...

Reading through here, would it be safe to assume as I am headed for full line, that it would be acceptable to post a list on the side of the machine with the items that are contained and available there in and the particular calorie count etc for such??

Reading through here, would it be safe to assume as I am headed for full line, that it would be acceptable to post a list on the side of the machine with the items that are contained and available there in and the particular calorie count etc for such??

Great question. The Food and Drug Administration will release rules by March 23, 2011 on how calories will have to be disclosed. The National Automatic Merchandising Association (NAMA)www.vending.org is trying to get them to allow a menu on the side of the machine. But the FDA hasn't said if that's OK. So we have to just wait and see for a few more weeks.

Great question. The Food and Drug Administration will release rules by March 23, 2011 on how calories will have to be disclosed. The National Automatic Merchandising Association (NAMA)www.vending.org is trying to get them to allow a menu on the side of the machine. But the FDA hasn't said if that's OK. So we have to just wait and see for a few more weeks.

They will disclose what needs to be displayed March 23, 2011 but will not be required to display it until 2012 now. Who knows what they will do come 2012. :rolleyes:

http://www.vending.org/pdf/NAMA_February_4_2011_Leg_Alert.pdf

I took the labels off my site when I saw this. I don't believe in ripping people off.

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I know this is an older topic, but I wanted to let you know that the FDA issued guidance, and wrote an exemption for Bulk Vending. Unless you have a bulk vending machine that also has a selection button (I'm told these don't exist), you are in the clear...for now.

There are some groups, notably the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CPSI), that oppose this exemption.

Slightly off topic, we calculated the highest calorie vend to be 35 calories. That's 6 to 8 Peanut M&M's...

Hey all,

I know this is an older topic, but I wanted to let you know that the FDA issued guidance, and wrote an exemption for Bulk Vending. Unless you have a bulk vending machine that also has a selection button (I'm told these don't exist), you are in the clear...for now.

There are some groups, notably the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CPSI), that oppose this exemption.

Slightly off topic, we calculated the highest calorie vend to be 35 calories. That's 6 to 8 Peanut M&M's...

Cool, thank you for this update. I'd prefer this remains a non-issue for me as a bulk vendor.

Archived