Route valuation

jt13

Looking at a route for sale:

Around $90k revenues (all machines are at one location, large hotel)

machines are 6 years old; 9 ams combo visi sensit II, 1 large soda, 1 small soda, 1 large snack

upper teens commission gross sales

claims about 40% profit margin

asking close to 1x gross sales

I've been to the location with him and everything looks legit.

Opinions on valuation?

so....if they are asking approx 90K for this location with machines.  I'm assuming it comes with the inventory and money in the machines on the day they are turned over to you.  With a 40% profit, you'll be clearing approx 36K each year.  That's a 2.5 year payback.

That seems too long for my liking.  Although I have never bought an existing location, when I am looking to place machines, I would like a payback model of a year or less.

Personally, I would pass on it unless they are willing to take much less for it.

Travis

Thanks Travis. Yeah, the financials are in the mail so I'll have a better idea of profit but the asking price is definitely way high. Trying to decide on an opening bid. From what I'm reading on here people like to try and pay 1x profits.

Forgot to mention it comes with a van too. 6 years old. 100k miles. Contract with hotel is renewed yearly based on customer service and you paying the commission on time I'm guessing.

After getting the financials this is what I'm thinking:

50% COGS

18% commission

6% sales tax

3% misc repairs, guess, etc.

This leaves about 23% pre-tax profit. So from what I'm reading on here $25k offer would be the starting point. Don't think he'll bite but we'll see.

Remember it is business. You have to make the numbers work for you. Do not get caught up in the emotion of the purchase. You need to have the mind set that you will walk away from any deal.

I looked at a route. The guy asked 10k obo in the ad. When I looked at everything I was willing to offer the 10k. He then told me that he had 3 other offers. 1 for 15k and 2 for 12k. I told him I was wasting his time and that he should take one of the offers......3 months latter he offered the route to me again and I bought it for 7k.

Remember there are always other options. This is not your only opportunity to get into vending.

There is also a lot of risk in this deal. What happens if they contract is not renewed? where are you going to store all those machines? How are you going to move them?

Thanks sbishop for the note. Yeah, as part of the deal I would make it contingent on a new contract with the hotel so I would have at least a full year. But like you said it's business and since I'm a newbie at this I'm going to wait for the right deal to come along. There aren't many deals here in the dc area from what I've seen so far though.

I might have to start from scratch and hit the pavement. But you never know, the guy with the route in question may realize my offer is the only legitimate offer. He said he had 2 guys interested but could not get loans from the bank. I could pay cash.

I have been caught up in the emotions of the purchase in the past and have greatly regret doing so. When you think there are no deals to be had they will start popping up all over. Just remember for large sums of money you can always buy very good used equipment and pay a quality locating service like blue moose and end up with a route that has the equipment spread out and thus adding some more security to the investment.

Thanks mxer for your note. That's a very interesting idea. If I don't find anything by the end of summer I might just do that. If so, could I ping you on here about what to buy and where to find good deals?

Thanks,

James