$6.00 per machine tax???

As we were looking into our business license's tax id numbers etc. We called and the county said their license will run $6.00 per machine does this sound right and does anyone else have anything like this. I know you need all your license's to be legal but is this one a must? With 10 machines its not bad but with 100 machines thats $600 a year just for the county tax!!!!!!!! Please advise

Don't get too discouraged about business taxes, it's a cost of doing business.  Remember that you will be deducting business taxes as an expense ( as well as mileage, @ 50¢ per mile, home office, storage, machines and parts, etc. ), which will reduce your taxable income on your schedule C. Especially if you're starting out, these deductions can mean you show a loss on paper, but money in the bank.  If you are vending under the table, the deductions can't help you, so keep all your expense receipts and file your schedule C.  A simple example: your 2010 vending income is $1000, your veding machine tax is $ 600, and your other business related expenses are $400. This amounts to a net income of $0, which means no additional income tax or social security tax liability. But you've deposited $1000 of quarters into your bank account!

In a neighboring city and county to mine, there is an annual vending machine fee of more than $150, plus $5 per machine after the first 12.

In my county, there is no such fee, but vending machine operators are required to undergo food safety certification and obtain a commissary license from the county inspector.  The fine for noncompliance is $100 per violation per day.

The good/bad news is, "vending machine" applies to snack and vending machines, and does not apply to bulk vending machines.