You just bought a used machine.... What about locks?

When you purchase a machine or route from someone, and pretty much anyone has access to it, do you change out the locks?

If so, where do you get new ones?

What do you do with the old lock and keys?

Do you swap them out with people that operate far, far away from you?

I have been pondering this since I bought my first machine.  I only got one key with it. and since it is outside, what is keeping the possible spare key holder from helping him/her self to drinks or money?

When I first got my mechanical pop/snack machine along with an older change machine (they all have t- handles)  the machines didn't have locks, so I bought 5 keyed alike off of ebay, they work great, but when I tried one on the DN I just got, it wouldn't lock.  I compared the two locks and they are the same size but the ones I bought, won't lock the handle.  it just keeps popping out as if I had just unlocked it.

Here is a pic of my lock and keys that I got off of ebay....

Key.jpg

width=500 height=375http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae316/mikeyb123456/sideoflock.jpg[/img]

width=500 height=375http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae316/mikeyb123456/topoflock.jpg[/img]

I always swap out locks.  I keep the old ones in case I sell a machine and they need a lock.

I have bought  keyed alike locks off of ebay.  They are cheap and a cinch to swap out so it is worth the piece of mind to me.

Would you trust your exwife with your ATM card and check book NO

You always change locks..

When i bought my route he removed his and i installed mine,,

I you install the plug lock right it should lock. make sure you are getting the lock tab on side of lock in the hole right

Would you trust your exwife with your ATM card and check book NO

You always change locks..

When i bought my route he removed his and i installed mine,,

I you install the plug lock right it should lock. make sure you are getting the lock tab on side of lock in the hole right

See, thats what I don't understand.  my lock won't lock the unit.  but i install the lock that came with the machine and it locks with no problem.  I just don't understand it.

I would bring the lock home and try in my machines I have here at home, but obviously I would need to leave someone there at the machine so it doesn't get robbed.  or I guess I could pull the t-handle out of a machine here and take over there and put the lock in it?  I just don't know.

I am rather baffled about the situation.  maybe the locking pin sticks out a bit more than the ones that I have... but visually inspecting them side by side, they look the same.

The only difference I have found is that my locks are a quarter thickness longer than the original lock that is in it.  (sorry, didn't have a tape measure. ) they are both the same round, and the pin appears to be the same.

When I install my lock, the pin clicks into the slot to lock the lock in place, I just can't get the handle to lock the machine.

There are a few different positions for the lock to click into the T-handle. If you are in the right position it may just be the lock. There are some differences that just cannot be accounted for and some locks just don't work.

There are a few different positions for the lock to click into the T-handle. If you are in the right position it may just be the lock. There are some differences that just cannot be accounted for and some locks just don't work.

So should I just buy a different set of keyed alike locks then and hope it works?

Ok,  just got my lot of 17 locks today. 7 of them are keyed different and some have totally different keys.

I found 1 lock that would actually work on my pop machine.  but you have to slam the lock shut in order for it to lock.  Should I look into getting a new t-handle assembly?

I have locks for sale that will fit your soda machine if you need them.

Thanks for the offer,  I have a grand total of 21 different locks and none of them except for one seems to work.  I have 2 change machines, a mechanical snack and mechanical soda machine and every lock works fine in those.

Thanks for the offer,   I have a grand total of 21 different locks and none of them except for one seems to work.  I have 2 change machines, a mechanical snack and mechanical soda machine and every lock works fine in those.

well if you need them mine work