Another "No"

Hillbilly

Had time to check out a little diner I've been eyeing for a few weeks.

The owner was not there but the waitress gave me his phone number.  I called him after I got home and his response to my pitch was that he didn't want to pay any more tax to the city from any revenue from vending machines. Now I'm not the brightest person but if you are paying more tax doesn't that mean you are making more money?

I quickly changed tactics to support a charity. He immediately says no.  All of a sudden he says his son has gumball machines. I ask for his son's name and he says both son's are into vending.Won't give me any info about his son's though.  Anyway I didn't get the location. Moving on to the next one.

I would have told him that he wouldn't be responsible for paying sales tax since you are.

Isn't that the perk that we are supposed to have in our sales pitches- I'll handle everything, you'll get a check for it?

Of course, he could have been referring to income tax, but for some reason your story makes me think he sees having a machine as responsibility and paper work that he doesn't want- which makes me think he was referring to paying sales tax.

Just a thought, though I could be wrong.

He stated about paying it to the town so it must have been B&O tax. It is 1/2 of 1% of gross sales.

I explained that I would handle all this and it still didn't make a difference.

Some cities levee some strange taxes for sure.  Not sure of this guy's situation and maybe he is confusing them with other types of machine taxes.  But here in Orange county, a business must have a "license" to have video games.  Yes, the county accesses a tax on a business for each video game on site.  If the license does not support all the machines, some must be removed or the license fee will increase.  The county has inspectors for this!  I heard this strait from a bar owner.  When I asked him about the toy and gumball machines, he said "they don't care about those things and they just walk right by them".  Just another reason why I avoid video games.  Made me happy.  ;D

Hey we had a good one the other day. The guy said business is to slow to add a candy machine. We explained that it was free and he would get a commission off of the machine he said no thanks business is just to slow right now.

I think part of the problem is many people have never given any thought to how a vending machine gets where it is and how it and the business behind it works.  I have explained my business to a bunch of different people and I am always surprised by how many people don't even know that you can actually buy vending machines.  When I ask them how they thought vending machines were placed they just admit ot never having thought about it. 

I think it is the same type of thing here, if business owners fully understood what we were doing right off the bat they would probably be happy to let us place machines, but this is not the case.  We almost need an independent awareness campaign ha ha.  :D