question on a DN glass front machine

Are these machines any good? The lady who owns these 2 machines that ive been talking to says that she paid 2 grand apeice for them but will sell both for 2500 on location. They have been there for over 2 yrs. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

DN's in general are pretty good and reliable.  I have a DN5591 and a bastardized DN2145 (Actually, it's the shell and programming of a DN5591 and the refrig section of a DN2145).  Both are very good.  Had an issue with the drop sensor, but got advice on how to bypass it, and that has been basically the only issue I had with them.

Both of these are glass-front, drop machines.  If they are DN 2145'sand everything works, that is probably the MAX that I would pay for them.  If they are BevMax robotics and everything works....then it's probably a pretty good deal.

Travis

What do they look like? If robotic that is a decent deal. If not then it is not a deal. Also the ones that are not robotic have problems with hang ups. The bottles/cans can get hung on the shelf and not drop. The shelves have to be real clean and that helps with hang ups. If they get a little sticky it makes it worse.

DN's in general are pretty good and reliable.  I have a DN5591 and a bastardized DN2145 (Actually, it's the shell and programming of a DN5591 and the refrig section of a DN2145).  Both are very good.  Had an issue with the drop sensor, but got advice on how to bypass it, and that has been basically the only issue I had with them.

Both of these are glass-front, drop machines.  If they are DN 2145'sand everything works, that is probably the MAX that I would pay for them.  If they are BevMax robotics and everything works....then it's probably a pretty good deal.

Travis

What was ur drop sensor problem? I have a DN glass front (dont know the model since its on location and I havent looked yet) Its a 3rd party machine from RC Cola.. well sometimes it will start BEEPING nonstop and the display says REMOVE PRODUCT..and there is no product in there.. if u mess with  the door where the product comes for awhile it stops..how do u buypass the sensor?

Here is the forum discussion for the sensor issue

http://vendiscuss.com/forum/index.php?topic=7038.0

It wasn't pin 3 and 11 if I remember correctly.....but it is certainly the outside wires on the harness from the drop sensor.  However with it being a 3rd party machine, I would have the distributor fix it.

Travis

You should check if either of these are an ECC machine and if they use MDB. I purchaesed what was supposed to be a DN 5591 and turned out to be an old ECC 2145 without MDB. If you want to upgrade the BV or coinmech or possibly add a cashless system it's something to think about.

I have become friends with two repair techs that work for the local pepsi bottler and I can report that when it comes to glass fronts especially with robotics they hate them. One told me that he spents 90% of his time resyncing ( dont know if that is the correct term) the delivery arms and they have also mentioned the drop sensors. The other guy told me to stick with bubble fronts as long as possible. I am not saying they are right or wrong I am just thowing it out there for the discussion.

I currently have 6 Vendo Vue 40 machines and 5 DN5500's. They each have their issues.

On all of my Vendos I have had to repair or replace the wire harness that goes to the elevator and hand assembly due to broken wires. The guys at Vendo tell me that it was a quality control issue and has been resolved. We will see, if it has not been fixed the wires will begin breaking again in 3-4  months. I also have an occasional problem with the hand dropping a bottle, it seems to be primarily with noncarbonated drinks not keep their shape and slipping out, depending on how it falls to the bottom it can prevent the elevator from finding home and disabling the entire machine.  :angry:

On a positive I do love the pull out shelves for loading.

On the DN the biggest issue is that on occasion when vending a second bottle will slip through the gate. After the elevator delivers the bottle through the delivery door there is an extra bottle laying on the elevator belt. This means the next person to come along will be forced to accept that bottle as it will pass through the vend door before their selection and then then next person along will have the same problem until I get there and get the loose bottle off the belt.

I also am not a fan of the loading process due to the fixed shelving. In order to rotate product you are forced to either empty the row of existing inventory and then replacing it after you fill the new product or you put the new product in an empty column then pull the existing product over and put in front of what you have just loaded. Either way you are forced to handle existing product in the machine 1-2 times to properly rotate product which slows down the loading process. 

Based on what I have read from Snack dude, and mission...  Would it be safe to say at this point, 

The only thing the machines have going for them at this point in time is:  The ability to have a wide variety of product and a "cool" vending show for the customer when it is working properly?

Based on what I have read from Snack dude, and mission...  Would it be safe to say at this point, 

The only thing the machines have going for them at this point in time is:  The ability to have a wide variety of product and a "cool" vending show for the customer when it is working properly?

I'm inferring from your comment that you are thinking that I don't like my glassfronts. Quite the contrary, I love them, well all except for one, like most machines they have their own little quirks that must be dealt with to make them work better. Just like having to insert shims, adjusting or bypassing sensors etc. Most of the issues that the glassfronts currently have ought to be solved in the next generation or two. For now my preference is the Vue 40 and as a matter of fact I will be ordering another one in Sept.

The only glassfronts that I won't use are the bottle drop machines by any manufacturer. I've got one of those, a USI, in an office building and to be honest if someone wanted to steal I wouldn't even call the cops. In fact I think I would help them get it on the truck. :P :P

The only glassfronts that I won't use are the bottle drop machines by any manufacturer. I've got one of those, a USI, in an office building and to be honest if someone wanted to steal I wouldn't even call the cops. In fact I think I would help them get it on the truck. :P :P

Whoa!  That much of a headache huh?

We distribute for Vendo and Royal and have sold the Dixie in the past. Each machine has its own quirk and as an operator you need to decide which machines nuances fits your capabilities the best. Personally I prefer the Vendo but that is just my opinion. Is it perfect, no, but none are. The thing about the glasffronts is that they are a great merchandiser and your sales will increase in a public location. In a warehouse environment your sale may actually go down. Why? because f the time it takes to vend. If you are one of the lucky ones that have a large location that 50-100 people break at once that extra vend time is a detriment. The other thing to keep in mind is that while you do get upwards of 40 facings you capacities are not all that much better. When you are stocking 6-8 back a case of soda tales up 3-4 columns. If you have a big cola drinking location and go through 2 cases that can be 6-8 columns just to satisfy your customers. In a stack vendor you will get 9-10 selections with a higher capacity and a faster vend time and a lower cost. We sell at about a 95% stack vs 5% glassfront. For most places a stack vendor is the better choice.

As far as the igus cable on the Vendo. Yes they did have an issue. It was a spec problem. When a manufacturer specs wiring they look at the gauge and expense. Unfortunately no one took into consideration the flexing of the wire. It appears that the insulation didn't like to be flexed the way the machine needed it to be flexed. The insulation would break leaving a weak spot for the actual wire to work harden and then break. While not good, it is easily field serviced until you can get a replacement harness in. Any cable that we have had customers replace has become a non issue thus far so I think you are safe on that account.

I love glassfronts I have royal and dixie but I will only buy dixie reason I only buy dixie is it is the best by far the bev max 3 and 4 have a 5 or 6 vend time. It looks like a lot of guys like the vendo I have never had one because when I was at nama it took 19 seconds for me to get the drink from that machine and that's just way to long. Dixie has seemed to fixed every thing on the bev max 2 3 and made the 4 and I got 5 of them in about 6 weeks ago and every thing that that could have been better on the 3 is better on the 4

Sounds like a plan!

If I had the cash flow and the experience, I would love to get a glass front machine.

I honestly think it would sell like crazy, just for the show part of vending the product, but with my main focus on outdoor machines, it would probably be busted within a week!  :(