Free samples to elicit sales?

Today I tried out giving away free samples of the new pretzel m&m's that I loaded into the machine.

It seemed to work in that people were tempted to try them out despite thinking they were not going to like them, but so far there have been no sales from the machine. I even got some comments about how they thought they might like them but didn't after trying them.

Despite these preliminary results I think that I will use this method again in future, it only cost me 2 packets of m&m's, it was well received, and I may get some sales from it yet.

My situation may preclude anyone from getting the same results, as I was at work and could rely on my colleagues to not grab a handful from the bowl and empty it out without letting everyone try one.

It was even suggested to me by one of the managers that I do this with one of every product in the machine, to try and increase sales.

I think that most full line vendors with machines indoors could try this method, what do you think?

I did this with Rice Works chips. Most people think that anything made from rice is going to taste like cardboard but these are in fact very good. I think it works with new products on the market pretty well. Instead of giving away complete bags to customers I usually open a couple of bags and give out a few to each person.

I would not take tjhat managers advice and give away one of everything in the machine. I mean who hasnt tried most everything that you offer at one time or another. I dont think giving away plain Lays chips is going to boost your sales. :)

Good work on trying to boost your sales and it also build a good customer service image.

Instead of giving away complete bags to customers I usually open a couple of bags and give out a few to each person.

I think I failed to explain that I opened the two packets and poured them into a bowl in the breakroom.

I would not take tjhat managers advice and give away one of everything in the machine. I mean who hasnt tried most everything that you offer at one time or another. I dont think giving away plain Lays chips is going to boost your sales. :)

I agree about the whole machine, but there are a few things in there that people might not know about, and so they don't try them, and instead stick with a favourite choice. I'd hate to lose sales on one item to support another, but if it helps boost sales on an item that usually goes stale versus one with a healthy turnover, it would certainly curb some losses.

I, for example, can not remember ever having a baby ruth bar, so I am not likely to choose one for a snack, but I may be tempted to if I get to try a bite of one for free. If I like it, I found a new treat, if not, I didn't pay for it, so I don't risk anything in trying.

James, I understand what you are saying but I personally am not going to giveaway to many items just because of the cost factor alone.  If you have just a few accounts then you may can afford to do it but if you had over 100 accounts it would be tough. Also it would depend on how many people are in the account. It would be hard to give away to much product for people to try in a 200 person account.

However whatever works for you then stick with it. That is what important is understanding what works for your accounts to maximize profits.

James, I understand what you are saying but I personally am not going to giveaway to many items just because of the cost factor alone.  If you have just a few accounts then you may can afford to do it but if you had over 100 accounts it would be tough. Also it would depend on how many people are in the account. It would be hard to give away to much product for people to try in a 200 person account.

If you have just a few accounts, your potential results will be nearly impossible to understand.  Over 100 accounts would be optimal because it would allow you to more accurately quantify your efforts.

While it might require more effort on your behalf to give away enough product in a 200 person account... the results will be much more substantial.  Hell, give me a 5000 person account and I'll go to town.  I'll spend all day running polls and taste tests :)  And I'll be aggregating data in a way that most people could only dream of.

Profits,

I understand the market analysis benefits of giving products away to do surveys and such. However, most times operators dont have the cash flow to give away such volume of products to get any true accurate market analysis or even a boost in sales based on reaching a new potential customer of a product.  I was said what I said based on sheer cost of goods required is out of reach for most operators to give away any sizeable volume of products.

Now if the manufactures or suppliers want to come into my accounts and give away products and do market research surveys then by all means go ahead as long as I am going to get the same information they gather.   ;D

It would be costly, but I believe the work would pay off.  Few markets have the luxury of captive consumers that full-line vending typically enjoys.  :)  Lots of possibilities.

RJT, perhaps I should add a signature like yours to my posts, I only have one full size snack and one full size soda and they are both at my place of work. I took them over from another employee here who left, who took them over from the vendor because of slow sales and the fact that they are old and have been cosmetically damaged.

I can give out samples because there are only about 30 employees here total, and they are my entire customer base.

It is very difficult to run a single machine without stales, but I keep trying. At least the soda sells before it goes off (except for diet coke, which I replaced with coke zero to great success).

If you have just a few accounts, your potential results will be nearly impossible to understand.  Over 100 accounts would be optimal because it would allow you to more accurately quantify your efforts.

While it might require more effort on your behalf to give away enough product in a 200 person account... the results will be much more substantial.  Hell, give me a 5000 person account and I'll go to town.  I'll spend all day running polls and taste tests :)  And I'll be aggregating data in a way that most people could only dream of.

just put a sign on tthe machine asking what people like or want in there much cheaper than giving away free snacks

honestly in my uniformed opinion, if u have something in there that is so weird that you think people wont buy it without a free sample you probably should not put it in there.

HI,

Sometimes when I service the machines, people ask for "freebies"....I always tell them that everything in the machine is free....you just have to pay the machine's delivery charge!

On a more serious note, the idea of free foods is interesting and would seem like it could put some people over the fence if they are undecided BUT in actuality it seems like for me when I put something out of the ordinary into the machine (unless of course it is too radical a product) that item is the one that is sold out the next time I service the machine....

I  try to put new products (different that is....different chip, different brand etc...) in the machines to keep things "interesting".....Maybe that could be done to save a little cost AND make some additional revenue?....Of course, with a small customer base the free samples does probably go a

long ways towards good customer relations....

I guess in the end freebies can't hurt but I have not yet personally tried it.

Andrew