rowe snack machine problems, "BAD PRICE" error

dogcow

I have a rowe 4900 ( i think thats the model , not 100% sure  ) and i tried to switch the prices

when i turned off service mode however it reports BAD PRICE=16

I re-priced #16 but the error persists when i turn off service mode.

bill acceptor will not accept bills, coin mech sends all coins to coin return. however machine does not display "OUT OF ORDER" with door closed, it displays the regular banner even though its not working.

anyone have experience with this type of machine

here is how my machine looks for reference (stock photo, not my machine)

Img192.jpg

except it has a gum row at the bottom

Let's give it a shot. The picture looks more like the 5900 then the 4900 and based on your description it would make sense. The 4900 uses a module that can be pulled out to set the prices in the machine the 5900 does not and if I remember correctly the 5900 has a blue display and the 4900 has a red one.

Now to diagnosing. Did the machine work prior to changing prices? How many prices did you change (just 16)? Did you press "0" after changing the price to save the price? Did you get into any area of the programming that you shoudln;t have?

Let's give it a shot. The picture looks more like the 5900 then the 4900 and based on your description it would make sense. The 4900 uses a module that can be pulled out to set the prices in the machine the 5900 does not and if I remember correctly the 5900 has a blue display and the 4900 has a red one.

Yep it has a blue display, so 5900 thanks, the page i got that pic from said 4900 but maybe they didnt know either. i could not find the model # from the inside of the machine

Now to diagnosing. Did the machine work prior to changing prices?

yes

How many prices did you change (just 16)?

yes

Did you press "0" after changing the price to save the price?

yes i changed i tried it several times and saved it

Did you get into any area of the programming that you shoudln;t have?

yeah at first i accidently hit "5" and "1" which changed a parameter in the peripherals menu it changed "link master" from "N" to "Y". I went back in and changed it back to "N" , I'm not sure exactly what that did but without instructions i wasnt sure how to exit without saving.

the good news is at most i pull 5 or 6 bucks out of this stupid machine a week  for the last few weeks anyway  so if its down for a day i doubt anyone will mind much

Looks like the peripheral controls the coin handling options and free vend option etc. You will need to go in and run through all the peripheral steps. Any chance you put the machine on free?

Looks like the peripheral controls the coin handling options and free vend option etc. You will need to go in and run through all the peripheral steps. Any chance you put the machine on free?

in the directions i found it says "if link master Y is selected the coin mech must also be reconfigured refer to the coin mech instrutions" does that mean i screwed something up with the mech? i set it back to N

the link master was the only setting i messed with , do you know anything about it? i dont think i put it in free vend mode because idid not mess with those settings at all.

the directions seem to indicate i may have to clear the error out of memory but would switiching service mode on and off have done that?

It is possible it cleared your settings yes. If you follow the instructions step by step it isn't as hard or confusing as it reads. Just go through the setting one by one and be sure they are correct. Until you do this you cannot be sure that something wasn't jumbled when you changed the priginal setting

It is possible it cleared your settings yes. If you follow the instructions step by step it isn't as hard or confusing as it reads. Just go through the setting one by one and be sure they are correct. Until you do this you cannot be sure that something wasn't jumbled when you changed the priginal setting

i appreciate all your help, just to clarify so is link master supposed to be set to yes or no?

i have a coinco mech if that is any help

Set it to no and go to step 5

sorry to keep bothering you in the directions it says "if lnk mster was disabled proceed to step 37" so will i still go to step 5? sorry im not near the machine right now, its on location.

also what is  a dumb mech and all that stuff how do i know if i have one?

thanks so much

Sorry, I must have a different manual. If yours say step 37 go to step 37. I am pretty sure that all the 5900 used a dumb mech so :

Dumb Mech Y.

Card reader N.

Bill val Y. (your choice on the the changer but I recommend N).

Snack vend.

Free vnd N

That should get you back to the beginning. Now I am sure there is a way to do a factory reset but I don't have that info, sorry.

Back to your 16 price error. Try to change that to a different price, press 9 to save, then change it back( remember 9 to save)

Hopefully this thing will come to life

Sorry, I must have a different manual. If yours say step 37 go to step 37. I am pretty sure that all the 5900 used a dumb mech so :

Dumb Mech Y.

Card reader N.

Bill val Y. (your choice on the the changer but I recommend N).

Snack vend.

Free vnd N

That should get you back to the beginning. Now I am sure there is a way to do a factory reset but I don't have that info, sorry.

Back to your 16 price error. Try to change that to a different price, press 9 to save, then change it back( remember 9 to save)

Hopefully this thing will come to life

". (your choice on the the changer but I recommend N). "

what does that mean?

also what is a dumb mech? meaning it doesnt know how many coins are in it?

also can you explain the coin count/coin level thing the directions are really confusing.

do you have a copy of the manual you are using in pdf? i found one online dont know if its correct for my machine because the layout shows double spirals which i do not have.

thanks again for all your help

I was just about to change that.

Bill change N, that will keep your machine from being used a a bill changer.

Dumb mech is the terminology to describe a style of coin mech that has no real logic in it, hence the term dumb. All the real logic is in the machine and the mech communicates with the main pcb to operate properly. Prior to these units all the logic was in the coin mech itself and the machine had no real logic when it came to coins, coin count and so on. Think of a single price soda, that is a logic mech. All you need to do is supply power and it will work. A dumb mech needs the machine to operate at all. It's works kinda like this....

mech...hey someone just dropped in a quarter what do i do?

machine...let me check, yeah I have product that can use that quarter to make a vend so accept it.

mech...ok what do I do with it?

machine...put it in the cash box as your tubes are full

mech...ok

mech...someone just put in another quarter

blah blah blah.

As far as coin counting, early machines used the control board to keep count of how many coins are in the coin tubes. Just like the scenario above. The coin mech doesn't know squat it is just a worker. The early logic needed you to fill the machine through a coin count feature to get the proper reading so the machine could keep an accurate count. New machines and the mdb mechs actually have some logic that will allow the mechs to know when the tubes are totally full or low level full or empty. In some intermediate machines there was this logic but then the machine and the mech would try to keep count and the communication was faulty at times causing an electronic battle to who was right.

This is a very limited explanation as to the function of the communication of the machine. It is by no means technically proper but used as an example. So before someone tries to correct me, this is a simplified version and is as accurate as you need for a basic understanding.

Unfortunately, I don't have a pdf manual for this machine. I have a customers machine here that just happened to have the manual in it that I am using.

I was just about to change that.

Bill change N, that will keep your machine from being used a a bill changer.

Dumb mech is the terminology to describe a style of coin mech that has no real logic in it, hence the term dumb. All the real logic is in the machine and the mech communicates with the main pcb to operate properly. Prior to these units all the logic was in the coin mech itself and the machine had no real logic when it came to coins, coin count and so on. Think of a single price soda, that is a logic mech. All you need to do is supply power and it will work. A dumb mech needs the machine to operate at all. It's works kinda like this....

mech...hey someone just dropped in a quarter what do i do?

machine...let me check, yeah I have product that can use that quarter to make a vend so accept it.

mech...ok what do I do with it?

machine...put it in the cash box as your tubes are full

mech...ok

mech...someone just put in another quarter

blah blah blah.

As far as coin counting, early machines used the control board to keep count of how many coins are in the coin tubes. Just like the scenario above. The coin mech doesn't know squat it is just a worker. The early logic needed you to fill the machine through a coin count feature to get the proper reading so the machine could keep an accurate count. New machines and the mdb mechs actually have some logic that will allow the mechs to know when the tubes are totally full or low level full or empty. In some intermediate machines there was this logic but then the machine and the mech would try to keep count and the communication was faulty at times causing an electronic battle to who was right.

This is a very limited explanation as to the function of the communication of the machine. It is by no means technically proper but used as an example. So before someone tries to correct me, this is a simplified version and is as accurate as you need for a basic understanding.

Unfortunately, I don't have a pdf manual for this machine. I have a customers machine here that just happened to have the manual in it that I am using.

that all makes sense, how do i determine the correct settings for the coin count/coin level selection.  will i have to find the mech manual (unfortunately i forgot to write down the model # just its a coinco 24v)

thanks SO much for all the help you have no idea how much i appreciate it

I wouldn't use this function unless you are doing an initial install or you run into use correct change issues. Basically it reads like this.

If you go into the tube function you can add coin through the front of the machine and it will automatically count the coins for you. If you want to manually add 20 coins through the tubes you can manually tell the machine that you added 20 coins by scrolling through and doing the coin add steps. Or you can just leave things be, add coins through the tubes. If the low tube sensor is uncovered the machine will think there is only 4 coins left and count from there. Most of the time this will be fine but there is a chance that the coin payout gets messed up in an extreme situation. $5 inserted, 50 cent vend 22 quarters paid out but only 15 in the tube. It should try to switch to dimes then nickels but if they aren't full then someone losses change.

Most of the time the 3rd option works fine.

I wouldn't use this function unless you are doing an initial install or you run into use correct change issues. Basically it reads like this.

If you go into the tube function you can add coin through the front of the machine and it will automatically count the coins for you. If you want to manually add 20 coins through the tubes you can manually tell the machine that you added 20 coins by scrolling through and doing the coin add steps. Or you can just leave things be, add coins through the tubes. If the low tube sensor is uncovered the machine will think there is only 4 coins left and count from there. Most of the time this will be fine but there is a chance that the coin payout gets messed up in an extreme situation. $5 inserted, 50 cent vend 22 quarters paid out but only 15 in the tube. It should try to switch to dimes then nickels but if they aren't full then someone losses change.

Most of the time the 3rd option works fine.

thanks man! this makes sense

update--somehow i didnt notice in the front of the manual it tells me what coin mech is in there  9302LF its the only one listed under coinco 24v so that must be it.

Technivend,

Went through the option settings you outlined above, bill validator and coin mech came back to life. Cleared the errors in the diagnostic mode  and it didnt come back so i guess the price setting is right now.

thanks again for the help! seems to be working right now