Heath Care Law and Vending

Poplady1

I received this from one of my full line companies.

Randy & Bev - I had a customer ask me about this, and since I did not know about it I did some research.  I think we need to get the word out to as many vendors as possible.  The FDA has an open window for comment right now through September 7 so time is of the essence.  If you agree it needs to be shared, please forward on to your client list.  This effects EVERYONE nationwide, not just us here in California!!

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/56572    see excerpt:

"(CNSNews.com) – The House health-care reform plan unveiled last week by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) would do more than regulate insurance companies – it would even regulate vending machines.

.  .  .  Section 2572 of the bill (H.R. 3962) says, “In the case of an article of food sold from a vending machine that – (I) does not permit a prospective purchaser to examine the Nutritional Facts Panel before purchasing the article or does not otherwise provide visible nutrition information at the point of purchase; and (II) is operated by a person who is engaged in the business of owning or operating 20 or more vending machines, “the vending machine operator shall provide a sign in close proximity to each article of food or the selection button that includes a clear and conspicuous statement disclosing the number of calories contained in the article.” (See page 1,515 of H.R. 3962 Section 2572 (H) (viii).

.  .  .  Under the health-care bill, the exact cost of the nutritional makeover would not be ascertained until Health & Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius writes the specific rules based on the health care legislation, which NAMA thinks could take 18-24 months. "

So, this legislation has yet to be codified.  Now, the FDA opened a docket on July 7, 2010 for public comment (for a period of 60 days) on how this should be implimented.  National Automatic Merchandising Association was quoted in the above article and stated it will cost vendors $56 Million to comply so I anticipate a LOT of feedback to the FDA. 

Here's the info on how to submit a response to the FDA:  http://www.freshhealthyvending.com/healthy-vending/fda%E2%80%99s-initial-menu-labeling-steps-consumers%E2%80%99-path-to-healthy-food-choices/  see excerpt:

To ensure that everybody reaps the benefits of this law, FDA is encouraging the food industry, state and local governments, consumers and other interest parties to submit their comments and suggestions about menu labeling. The docket has been opened since July 7, 2010 and will remain for 60 days. If you have not submitted your comments or suggestions yet, here are the two ways to submit them (just be sure to include docket number FDA-2010-N-0298 on each page of your written comments):

To submit your comments electronically to the docket, go to this link

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#home

and follow the steps below:

1. Choose “Submit a Comment” from the top task bar of

2. Enter the docket number FDA-2010-N-0298 in the “Keyword” space

3. Select “Search”

To submit your comments to the docket by mail, use the following address:

The Division of Dockets Management

HFA-305

Food and Drug Administration

5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1061

Rockville, MD 20852

We simply will wait until this all settles.  As you may be aware there are provisions of the healthcare act that will be gradually implimented through 2014 so we do not know when these regulations will go into effect.  As this is an issue that will effect us, we will be watching it very closely.  Please join us in sharing your thoughts with the FDA.

Carrie Lynn

R C Vending

I put in my 2 cents. This is your government at work and it will only get worse. What is next, a scale in front of all vending machines to weigh the customer before they buy our products. Weigh too much you cannot buy that Coke. There is no doubt this administartion and the idiots in Congress do not like business, small or large. Regulate and tax us out of business. All who voted for this health care joke, the stimulus(how is that working out for ya?) etc. need to be voted out of office no matter what they say now. If you don't then you condone their behavior and please don't whine when your business is stuck in the mud. Thanks PopLady for giving us this link to provide feedback, although so far they don't seem to care what the people want.

I think it is going to be one of those things that we will do and know well pay any attention to it.

They don't pay Attention to the  labels on things now.  It's just a way for  Liberals  to ruin our country.  i will comply  and order my labels from Sweetstop. Even though I am not happy about it.   

I WILL NOT LET  THE GOV  PUT AGAPE VENDING OUT OF BUSINESS, I plan on leaving ti to my children

Here is a link to a thread I started a few days ago in the full line forums with some starter tips from NAMA. Sadly only a few dozen views to the biggest change in how we will do business in many years.

http://vendiscuss.com/forum/index.php?topic=10314.0

This is important folks, if you don't take the time to submit some comments you will have no right to golpher and complain about whatever rules they wind up finalizing and shoving down our throats.

Sent my comments and I intend to complain VEHEMENTLY on November 2nd and every town hall meeting I have in my area until this ludicrous law is repealed.  (Health care in general and this part of it in particular.)

I send my thoughts to our senator a couple times a year, but a good focused effort to fight this would be a good idea. It's unfortunate we see so many attempts to increase our costs, but they never consider legislation to remove our costs. It's not true that the government can't improve our profits. All they do have to do is take their own red tape off, and commit to stay out. They may be unable to create profits or value themselves, but they can certainly learn to leave us alone. Hopefully the new crowd will get it done better.

I most certainly hope so Lurtsman!  During the election I heard so many people say "vote for blah, blah.  Thats the way to go!" 

Now that Blah, Blah is in office, they don't want to talk about Blah Blah that they got in office.

Here is a story about this disclosure:  http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/71814

I've been posting about this issue for several months, and on the first string, most folks didn't take this very seriously.  I hope that everyone will take 2 minutes and send a comment to the FDA about how this labeling will impact your business.

Let them know that "20 or more vending machines" doesn't equal 20 or more bulk heads.  There is a web site that is selling labels for $7.  If we have to label every head, that will really hurt.

Here is a story about this disclosure:  http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/71814

I've been posting about this issue for several months, and on the first string, most folks didn't take this very seriously.  I hope that everyone will take 2 minutes and send a comment to the FDA about how this labeling will impact your business.

Let them know that "20 or more vending machines" doesn't equal 20 or more bulk heads.  There is a web site that is selling labels for $7.  If we have to label every head, that will really hurt.

Not to mention, that if you are in a new location, you may have to change to a different product to increase sales!  Therefore, having to peal off the old label and shinning up the globe to get the sticky residue off in order to put a new label on.