Coffee Pricing

coinvestor

After reading an article in the Vending Times this month about coffee prices, I realized I needed to review my pricing. I found that I desperately needed to increase my pricing. Coffee prices have gone up so much that I am nearly selling it at cost. Have you looked at your pricing lately? Have you taken increases? With prices expected to continue climbing I'm not sure how much to go up without making my accounts angry. What are you guys doing here?

Thoughts?

JD

I don't do full line, but I'm always checking prices.  At my school they have a coffee machine and it sells 2 sizes.  One costs 60 cents and the other 70 cents.  Sems pretty darn cheap to me.  I'm not sure how many ounces the cup sizes are but both are relatively small.  I would say smaller than a "small" at McDonalds. 

What are your prices and serving sizes JD?

I don't do full line, but I'm always checking prices.  At my school they have a coffee machine and it sells 2 sizes.  One costs 60 cents and the other 70 cents.  Sems pretty darn cheap to me.  I'm not sure how many ounces the cup sizes are but both are relatively small.  I would say smaller than a "small" at McDonalds. 

What are your prices and serving sizes JD?

Sorry, I could have been more clear. I was talking about prices for office coffee service, so its coffee by the case.

Sorry, I could have been more clear. I was talking about prices for office coffee service, so its coffee by the case.

No question about it, raising prices is no fun. Even less so when you are behind on the cost curve.

Here is what I would do. Go in looking for a 4-5 dollar increase. Let them know that you have already absorbed a couple of increases. Break it down to a cost per pot number so if you get any blowback you can respond with," its only __ per pot".

After you get agreement on new price show them the article and let them know that from you have been hearing you will probably need to revisit pricing after the holidays.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.