Beverage machine recomendations

caserri

I have been using older model Dixie Narco machines that vend cans. See pic below. I am trying to move out of bulk and more into beverage. When I start buying more beverage machines I will probably make a move to bottles. Is this wise or should I stick with cans? I'm thinking bottles would open up more account possibilties. Either way, what machines should I start looking at to grow. The DN's that I have now are great machines that give me minimal problems but as I look around, the nice accounts all have bottles. And new machines to boot.

Suggestions?

Steve

Steve, I have been using the Vendo 721.  Very reliable machine, easy set up.  I have a one Royal 768 out on route and I hate it.  Loads with column in the front and in the back.  Always cuting my knuckles.  I would figure anything new you can't really go wrong manufacturer to manufacturer.  I would stick with the dixies for used machines.  Seems there are more of them so if you need parts its an easier find. 

Zeke

BTW I have found that I make more profit from a can of soda than with bottles.  For some of my accounts its hard for me to go to the 1.25 price for bottles.  It would be easier for me to bring my cannned drinks to .75 cents to offset rising costs.

Yeah, I have looked at the cost of the bottles compared to the cans and have noticed the larger profit margin in the can. I personally prefer to work with, and drink from cans as well. I guess I'm just concerned that I might miss out on a great account because bottles seem to be the norm around here. The only can machines I see are in places like auto body shops or businesses with less than 20 employees.  Not that they won't produce, but I see bottle machines in industrial locations that employ 100's of workers. I just don't see a can machine fitting in that type of environment.

I could be wrong though.

Steve

I have a lot small offices near me that have 35 - 50 employees.  I plan to market vending services to these businesses by placing refurbished soda machines selling cans and trivend bulk candy machines.  I found used soda machines for $450 - $500.

I currently use DN 368s.  I have not had too many problems w/ them..  One was delivered w/ a bad compressor but was under warranty.  Easy to replace compressor deck.  Another problem was  a loose wire.  I agree there is a better profit margin w/ cans.  However, I would ask the location what they want.  They may not care as long as they believe they are getting a good deal w/ good service.

My 2 pennies!!

Lee

I think it depends on the location. If the location not an office and the customers are not repeat customers (like in a waiting area of a car dealership) you are better off with bottles. Even though the margins are smaller the profit per sale is higher. If the same amount of people buy a drink as they did with just cans, your making more money. If you are in a location with fixed repeat customers (like an office) then it would reduce the amount of sales because people would have more drink with a lid they can put back on and put in the fridge.

If you need to sell bottles to get a location you could get a third party machine from coke or Pepsi. Let them absorb the longer ROI and you put in a can machine:)

JD

Hi Steve,

I own 5 DN 368's can drink machines and have great success with them. I prefer cans because the profit margin is higher and when a can is purchased it is usually consumed right away and another sale is possible later. Unlike bottles cans don't wind up in the refrigerator. Keep it simple as possible and go with the used refurbished machines.  The Dixe Narco are great machines.

Good luck,

Art

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if you are asking me on not, but I will reply.

The DN368 was the workhorse of can vending for many years but is only capable of 1 price selection for all items. They fit easily thru most standard doors without opening them.It is great for an off site location or warehouse area that requires a soda machine. For a few more dollars, you can locate a DN501E that will vend 12 oz. cans, 16.9 bottles, 20 oz. bottle and even the 24 oz. bottles if you are inclined to do so. It just a matter of shims, rods, depth selection and setting the cam on the motor. The fact that you can run 9 product selections at 9 different price points also allows for more flexibility and profitability on some items you sell. Your account may have you locked into a certain price on soda products but when introducing new products such as fruit flavored drinks, hispanic drinks, ect. you may be able to increase the price of them and reduce the COM for the new item and help some with your base items. People love to see new items in machines and most will pay a little more for an alternative from the same products day in - day out. It works the same for snack and food machines.

No matter which Dixie Narco you decide on, they both work great with minimum problems. 

Also please be aware that the refrigeration deck is a little longer on the 501. It is a deeper machine.

I have purchased many DN501 Live fronts used for less than $750, although I usually spend about $100 to make them look new again.

midtenn,

I don't think I have formally welcomed you to the board. It is my pleasure to have you here. Your apparent experience is a definite asset to our community as we try to attract more full line members.

Glad you found us!

Steve

• 2 months later...

Where do you buy your machines? We Use the local bottler for soda machines and Wittern for snack right now. I would like to find a place to buy Dixi-Narco machines.

As you have said, local bottlers are they best place to get them at no cost. There are many vending machine companies that refurb and sell them, you can search the web, although the rising cost of shipping is a major concern these days. Sometimes you can find almost new machines in your area on craigslist amd ebay usually have companies that sell DN501E's for under $1000. Start there and if you need more help just message me and I will find you what you want and tell you where to get it.