Storing chocolate: Lowest Temp. Allowed?

Have you ever opened a candy bar and it was discolored and looked like it was 10 years old? Its not usually because of age its because it was exposed to high or low temps.

Chocolate does not do well below 40 and above 80. You won't see the effect right away but over several weeks after being exposed to temps outside the ideal range it will begin to discolor and turn white and get the old look to it.

In the garage or in the truck I use 120 quart ice chest from Sam`s. To keep it cool I have a dozen or so 1 liter water bottles t at I keep frozen and when I head out each morning I put 3 or 4 in the ice chest. The thawed ones from thwe day before get thrown back in the freezer.

I am a smaller vendor and I keep all product in my basement year round. I keep enough Chocolate in the side of my machine to last a week or so, that way i do not have to transport it every day. Be careful about storage in your garage if there is any chances of animals getting in. I had to throw out about 100pieces a couple of months ago because they got opened by animals. I now use solid bins with lids the animals can't get into

I am a smaller vendor and I keep all product in my basement year round.

How I wish I had a basement! They're pretty rare here in Southern California.

Be careful about storage in your garage if there is any chances of animals getting in. I had to throw out about 100pieces a couple of months ago because they got opened by animals. I now use solid bins with lids the animals can't get into

Thanks for the advice. I hope lizards don't like chocolate -- there's one in my garage that's been getting fat off all the crickets!  :P LOL. My biggest problem in that regard will be my kids.

In the garage or in the truck I use 120 quart ice chest from Sam`s. To keep it cool I have a dozen or so 1 liter water bottles t at I keep frozen and when I head out each morning I put 3 or 4 in the ice chest. The thawed ones from thwe day before get thrown back in the freezer.

Hi, mission vending. This is also what I plan to do with my chocolates kept in the garage but I was wondering whether there will be problems caused by the moisture as the frozen water bottles melt? Do you line something like a plastic sheet on top of or below the bottles to keep the moisture from coming in contact with chocolates, or is this not necessary?

Since all the choc wrappers are plastic, except for M&M, you don`t really need to worry about moisture damage unless a bottle breaks and all the water leaks out. The cardboard boxes the candy comes in will generally soak up the moisture. You`ve just got to make sure the damp cardboard gets removed with a day or two or else it will start to mildew and the smell can be absorbed by the choc making it taste funny.

I have found that any solution that required a task that was not part of my normal working day (doing it first, or last thing) would eventually be forgot. No matter how big or small you are you need to be able to forget about vending for some amount of time. You don't want to be out with the family on the weekend trying to remember "was that today I changed the ice in the cooler, or was that yesterday". I know that swapping ice in a cooler every two - three days seems insignificant, but for me these little things can make the business seem overwhelming, or as if I never clock out.

FYI........ I went to type this response yesterday and halfway through I remembered I had left the cooler on the truck packed with frozen food I had forgotten about. It was rescued in time ;D

I have found that any solution that required a task that was not part of my normal working day (doing it first, or last thing) would eventually be forgot. No matter how big or small you are you need to be able to forget about vending for some amount of time. You don't want to be out with the family on the weekend trying to remember "was that today I changed the ice in the cooler, or was that yesterday". I know that swapping ice in a cooler every two - three days seems insignificant, but for me these little things can make the business seem overwhelming, or as if I never clock out.

FYI........ I went to type this response yesterday and halfway through I remembered I had left the cooler on the truck packed with frozen food I had forgotten about. It was rescued in time ;D

Agreed that it can be a hassle sometimes. On the weekends I will either load up the ice chest with a few extra bottles of pull the ice chest into the house.

Archived