trouble shooting advice?

devin1986

So...  my latest account is a fairly big trucking company with an AP 4000 snack machine. I've received complaints today about the machine is failing to accept change and dollar bills. I tried to replicate the issues and I wasn't entirely able to, but I did notice a few things potentially wrong.

The bill acceptor seemed hesitant to accept some of the bills that I tried, and they seemed to become crumpled up slightly and not laying flat in the acceptor. I'm not sure if this could cause the machine to hesitate about taking bills?

The other possible issue I noticed is that the coin return attached to the changer seems to not line up directly with the change tray. Or at least that's what it seems to be, because some of the coins from change will fall directly into a small crevice within the door assembly causing only part of the change from a purchase to be given back.

Solution? What I was going to try tomorrow is wd-40 the hinge/springs for the bill changer and make sure it's moving freely, cycle out the coin tubes and spray changer clean with a compressed air can, try to adjust the coin changer so it lines up with the return tray. I'm not even sure how I'll do that last part, but I'm sure I could figure it out somehow.

(So, what confuses me is I don't understand how any of the issues I discovered today could cause the machine to not accept change. I also have a warranty on the machine with the person I purchased the location from, but I'd like to get my VD network's advice first.) I'm hoping to go in tomorrow, so I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Sounds like you`ve got a couple of things going on at once.

First DO NOT use WD40 in your DBV or mech, you will turn them into junk. If you use any kind of cleaner go to an electronics supply store and buy a can of cantact cleaner. In this case it probably won`t help much.

For the DBV check the belts and rollers carefully. Bring a flashlight and look into DBV where it pulls bills through, someone might have shoved a knife or sharp object into it and created a burr that the bills are catching on.

The mech could need cleaning or tuning, if that fails then get a replacement under your warranty.

you might consider buying a few spare mech and validators. i find this is better than waiting until they break to try to figure out whats wrong. you can just swap them out and take the broken one apart at home or send it out for repair.

Archived