Too many keys, how do you organize them.

MrGranger

I have so many keys on my key ring now, the problem is that if I keep them on the key ring it scratches the tops of the machines. I need a new solution. But most of the pull-apart key rings are for 6 or 8. That's not near enough.

What solution have you come up with organize your keys? (And I'm sure some of you just change the locks to one single key.)

I have so many keys on my key ring now, the problem is that if I keep them on the key ring it scratches the tops of the machines. I need a new solution. But most of the pull-apart key rings are for 6 or 8. That's not near enough.

What solution have you come up with organize your keys? (And I'm sure some of you just change the locks to one single key.)

I use the pull apart key ring, I have two, one for my most common set of 5 and 1 for the misc 10 others I have. I keep them in a partion of my seervice box, and only take in the key I need for that stop. I intend to move down to 2 keys eventually, but my focus has been on the appearance of the machines when it come to spending money on them. Steve suggested to me when I first started to use an old mousepad with a hole cut in the middle to prevent scratches if using a standard key ring. That worked until I had all of my keys listed by location on Vend-Trak. Now I know exactly what to take. The pull apart key rings wear out over time though, and will open up on their own, so you need to replace them from time to time.

I use the pull apart key ring, I have two, one for my most common set of 5 and 1 for the misc 10 others I have. The pull apart key rings wear out over time though, and will open up on their own, so you need to replace them from time to time.

The Amazon reviews on the pull-apart key rings are pretty spotty. Have you found any that you'd recommend over others or do you just consider them an expense that has to be replaced every once in a while?

One thing that I did early was place asset tags on all my machine which helps me keep the keys straight. I just add a tag to each key with that #. I'm going to try some of these http://www.troika-usa.com/product.php?productid=66. I'd rather have them all in one place but don't want to carry around a key book with me.

As Kelly stated, I keep to just a few brand of machines and have them keyed or re-keyed with the same key #. It cost me an extra $10 to replace used machine lock but well woth the trouble of having to carry dozens of keys with me.

Ive just started in this business and quickly found out key organization would be a big hassle. So while I had the chance and still only had a few machines in my closet, I ordered all the same locks and keys from A&A so now everything uses the same key. Its great and I highly recommend it.

I think we all have that problem. I just throw mine in a zip lock. and try to remember what key goes where. I have also written them down on the money bags. Green key for zipo car care etc. that works until the sticker falls off.

I have several machines out there...the keys didnt become an issue until I started adding used tattoo, pinball and spirals. I still have it under control though. I have 2 keyrings one with all the oddball keys and one with my everyday keys. Now my keys for padlocks is a different story, I have several racks chained down in laundromats and it can be frustrated picking the right key, but they are on a separate keyring too.

Thanks all. I'm going to combine all of your suggestions. Since I buy used equipment I'm not going to change locks if they have them, but when they don't I'll put in the same locks. So it lessens the issues. And I'm going with the pull-apart keychain and these http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3604145&cp=2627704 tags that I picked up from ace to add my asset tag. And getting a cheap ziplock bag to keep them all in. That way I can try to organize in some sort of fashion via area or whether it's a key for a location machine or one of my conference show machines.

Thanks all.

Archived