Refurbishing a heavily corroded chrome stand!

quotealex

I have a stand that was in a car wash location which is heavily corroded and the new stand that I replaced it with is also starting to corrode as well. Is there a way to refurbish chrome stands that will widthstand very high humidity level?

I have a stand that was in a car wash location which is heavily corroded and the new stand that I replaced it with is also starting to corrode as well. Is there a way to refurbish chrome stands that will widthstand very high humidity level?

Do a google search for fluid film. I beleive this product may work and you can buy in an aerosol can online, locally, or even on ebay.

Do a google search for fluid film. I beleive this product may work and you can buy in an aerosol can online, locally, or even on ebay.

I sell this stuff. I know it will not freeze. It is similar to PB Blaster. Pnut: Will it bring back the chrome or not?

Try Brasso metal polish. It should help take off the rust/corrosion, but it will come back if the stand is left in a humid place. I once had some corroded chrome stands given to me for free. I had them sand blasted and power coated black. The cost was acceptable since they were free to begin with and cheaper than buying new. I personally avoid chrome stands since they just doesn't hold up. Beaver and Northwestern seem to love chrome stands for some reason. I had one blasting company tell me they don't remove chrome - too much of a pain. But you got to get the chrome off first in order to get that new coat of paint on.

To go off topic a bit. But did anyone watch the history of Chrome on Modern Marvels (history Channel)? I learned that it does not directly attatch to metal very well, so the metal is first coated with nickel and the chrome then bonds with the nickel. But that can get expensive. Now they have figured out how to get chrome to adhear to plastic for a lighter weight and cost efficient product.

Back in the day, those classic cars from the 50's and 60's were loaded with chrome. The show also highlighted the rise and fall of chrome on cars. But now with this new plastic structure, they are making chrome grills again for some models.

Chrome looks great at first, but a pain to maintain IMHO. Give me black powder coat any day for stands.

Archived