Dixie Narco Question

OK all you Dixie people. These F64T12DHO bulbs. UGGG!!!!! I have one of them out in one of my 276's and don't want to place it without everything working. Checked my 501 today while prepping that, and it has them too.

I can't find them here locally, and what I can find on the internet, GOOD GOD!!!!! shocked.gif$300.00 a case. It is safe and feesable to convert to a standard single nipple bulb?? Home Depot carries a huge variety of Philips, but not these, more common sizes in the larger tubes, 36" 48" etc.

I know alot of people do exactly what I am doing, buy cheap, makes some repairs and out the door. SO I was hoping y'all would have some thoughts.

Thanks so much

Try a couple of local electrical supply houses. That is where I get mine. Around here, if they don't stock them, they will bring them in one at a time for you.

I just convert mine to the 48in shop lights. from the inside, it doesn't look all that bling bling. but from the outside no one notices a difference.

although really pricey with shipping, $22.28 you can buy the singles for what you currently have in your machine. http://www.elightbulbs.com/catalog_product.cfm?source=BecomeCSE∏=PL355784

Either that or the place you called today, Vendors Exchange.

I am not recommending this, but I've seen machines that were converted to the other type of bulbs, just be sure to put some tape around the bulb and socket to keep it from popping out if the machine gets shaken.

My thought was converting. I am not a fan of shipping bulbs, I end up having to do it with the holiday lighting portion of my business, but I am buying 1000 plus at a time then, and they are packaged in a nice thick box, and then packaged again in boxes of 25, no where near as fragile as fluorescent tubes. I hate the fact that these things are so pricey, do they tend to last longer by any chance?

I too was considering converting to 48" shop lights - got four of them in my shop in storage.

Mission, VE is $300 per case plus shipping. Seems to be the average. WHen I found the 501 used them also, I was starting to wonder if it was common with Dixie Machines, then also started to think in the long run it could be cheaper to just buy the bulbs as opposed to converting a machine each time I buy one. Tough part, for the cost of a case of bulbs, I can buy another machine.cheesy.gif

Thanks guys!!!!!

Try a couple of local electrical supply houses. That is where I get mine. Around here, if they don't stock them, they will bring them in one at a time for you.

i agree i had good luck with this

also speciality pet stores (like where u would buy supplies for aquariums ) some times have snack machine lights

My thought was converting. I am not a fan of shipping bulbs, I end up having to do it with the holiday lighting portion of my business, but I am buying 1000 plus at a time then, and they are packaged in a nice thick box, and then packaged again in boxes of 25, no where near as fragile as fluorescent tubes. I hate the fact that these things are so pricey, do they tend to last longer by any chance?

I too was considering converting to 48" shop lights - got four of them in my shop in storage.

Mission, VE is $300 per case plus shipping. Seems to be the average. WHen I found the 501 used them also, I was starting to wonder if it was common with Dixie Machines, then also started to think in the long run it could be cheaper to just buy the bulbs as opposed to converting a machine each time I buy one. Tough part, for the cost of a case of bulbs, I can buy another machine.cheesy.gif

Thanks guys!!!!!

This is pretty funny to me that you guys are talking about bulbs

Alot of my customers ( more than a few) are telling me to unplug the lights in the pop and snack machines because they are "going green". I placed a couple of glassfronts and a snack glassfront last november in a large companies breakroom had all the machines filled with the lights working and they were looking sweet

The vice president of operations walks in looks at the machines and the first thing he says to me is

" Are you able to disconnect the lights on all those machines" So we did.

Now I am starting to think that when the bulbs blow out "were going green"

The bubble fronts I dont mind so much but I do like the snack machines to be lit up. They look like they are broken if their not.

This is pretty funny to me that you guys are talking about bulbs

Alot of my customers ( more than a few) are telling me to unplug the lights in the pop and snack machines because they are "going green". I placed a couple of glassfronts and a snack glassfront last november in a large companies breakroom had all the machines filled with the lights working and they were looking sweet

The vice president of operations walks in looks at the machines and the first thing he says to me is

" Are you able to disconnect the lights on all those machines" So we did.

Yep, me too.

Yep, me too.

I was thinking of using this response, also considered taking a bulb for the time being from one of the third party machines until I could locate a replacement. The third party machines are #1 outside, and #2, I would be just fine with them not being illuminated at night. The locations are closed at night, and the out of site out of mind idea works for me. Added step to avoid vandalism and theft.

Archived